Adding TCW-3 oil to your gas

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
mik_str

Adding TCW-3 oil to your gas

Post by mik_str »

Hello folks,

I raised this matter during a discussion on the Superhawkforum and thought it may of interest here. So, I am a frequent visitor of the Bobistheoilguy discussion forum and stumbled across a discussion relating to the adding of small amounts of two-stroke oil in the gas of a four-stroke engine. Having rad through the thread and researched the matter further, I decided to give it a shot and have been adding oil for about two years now. Bike seems to run a bit smoother as a result. My main reasons for doing are to lube the upper cylinder and valve train, hoping to keep everything together longer. As an added bonus, it is said to improve ring sealing and generate a small boost in power (said to be about 2 hp on a 450 MX).

Here is the thread that is said to have launched the discussion/practice: http://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-testing-oil-91206/

Enjoy!
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
fabiostar

Re: Adding TCW-3 oil to your gas

Post by fabiostar »

iv been adding castrol R for the smell to 4 strokes since the 1980s and never had a problem. :thumbup: :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

fabiostar wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:41 pm iv been adding castrol R for the smell to 4 strokes since the 1980s and never had a problem. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Oh yeah...what about the stunted growth... :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Back in the 80s I was running a GP 2 stroke. On avgas from Rochester Airport mixed 20 to 1 with castrol R30. After the racing what premix was left went into my V4 transit. Big mistake. It gave up the ghost heading up Swanscombe hill on the A2 leaving a smokescreen worthy of an battleship. Rings totally glued into the pistons. Beware......

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

castor oil was known for causing deposits and sticking rings (which is why it is no longer being used), this is not the case with modern petroleum or synthetic two-stroke oils...
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You'd think that by now they could've made a good synth 2stroke oil that smells like Castrol R.....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

mik_str wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:20 pm
Here is the thread that is said to have launched the discussion/practice: http://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-testing-oil-91206/

Enjoy!
An interesting read. Thank you. Note, they are recommending a 1/650 ratio using marine grade fully synthetic 2 stroke oil.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

MacV2 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:40 pm
fabiostar wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:41 pm iv been adding castrol R for the smell to 4 strokes since the 1980s and never had a problem. :thumbup: :thumbup:

30 odd years of smelling R has caused the stunted growth, i used to be 5,10 lol
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

fabiostar wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:37 am
MacV2 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:40 pm

30 odd years of smelling R has caused the stunted growth, i used to be 5,10 lol
Yeah right...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

lmfao.. ya huer ye :lol: :lol:
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

fabiostar wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:20 pm lmfao.. ya huer ye :lol: :lol:
Hahahahahah my flatmate in Edinburgh a number of years ago used to say this....love it :lol:

After reading a lot of the thread mentioned by the OP, I'm trialling adding 30 ml of this https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-6513-motul ... e-oil.aspx to each tankful - will report back when my engine blows up.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I'm sure I remember someone a few years back trying to blame their SP engine letting go on the fact that they'd added Redex. Might have been the SP forum.
Sounded like clutching at straws to me....it adds nothing to the octane rating, and can't affect anti-knock ignition timing.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

tony.mon wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:42 pm I'm sure I remember someone a few years back trying to blame their SP engine letting go on the fact that they'd added Redex. Might have been the SP forum.
Sounded like clutching at straws to me....it adds nothing to the octane rating, and can't affect anti-knock ignition timing.
Yeah I definitely remember seeing that as well. (edit: http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13885).

The thread mentioned by the OP doesn't claim that the marine 2-stroke oil boosts octane, indeed specifically says that it doesn't, but rather claims that (at a concentration of 500:1) it improves the lubricating qualities of fuel to offset what it describes as the dry nature of modern ethanol-laced unleaded fuels, and fulfil the following needs:

'We need to lubricate the fuel pump/seals/injectors.
We need to clean the fuel system and scavenge water that ethanol attracts.
We need a film of protection in our fuel system to stop corrosion.
We need a cleaner for our spark plugs/valves/combustion chambers.
We need to clean the ring packs
We need to leave a film on the cylinder walls to eliminate cold start metal wear.'
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

I've done two tankfuls with this stuff in (https://www.motul.com/gb/en/products/outboard-tech-2t) at a concentration of 500:1 and I already feel a difference, of the sort you get when you've just put new spark plugs in. Not more power but the engine feels crisper and tighter. It also definitely starts more readily. I'm doing a trip to and from Bedford (300 miles ish) today and tomorrow so this will be a proper run to check out any difference in mpg (not holding my breath) and to let this stuff do whatever work it's doing - I'm 90% sure it's not placebo as I ride more or less every day and am pretty sensitive to how the bike feels. I am however also aware of the power of suggestion...
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

jchesshyre wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:02 am I've done two tankfuls with this stuff in (https://www.motul.com/gb/en/products/outboard-tech-2t). I am however also aware of the power of suggestion...
In that case I would like back the fifty quid you borrowed from me last year at that party.