Adding TCW-3 oil to your gas

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
mik_str

Re: Adding TCW-3 oil to your gas

Post by mik_str »

jchesshyre wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:02 am I've done two tankfuls with this stuff in (https://www.motul.com/gb/en/products/outboard-tech-2t) at a concentration of 500:1 and I already feel a difference, of the sort you get when you've just put new spark plugs in. Not more power but the engine feels crisper and tighter. It also definitely starts more readily. I'm doing a trip to and from Bedford (300 miles ish) today and tomorrow so this will be a proper run to check out any difference in mpg (not holding my breath) and to let this stuff do whatever work it's doing - I'm 90% sure it's not placebo as I ride more or less every day and am pretty sensitive to how the bike feels. I am however also aware of the power of suggestion...
my findings are in line with yours, which is why I have been using it and will continue to do so...
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

tony.mon wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:41 am
jchesshyre wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:02 am I've done two tankfuls with this stuff in (https://www.motul.com/gb/en/products/outboard-tech-2t). I am however also aware of the power of suggestion...
In that case I would like back the fifty quid you borrowed from me last year at that party.
How could I have forgotten this! So sorry! I'll pay you back in £50's worth of marine 2-stroke oil if that's OK.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I'm tempted to try this out in the car. An old Golf mk4 GTI. 118000 miles (FI) so if it's going to make an improvement then it should be noticeable.

I'll do baseline performance tests first.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The trouble is that if, purely coincidentally, it blows up, you are always going to wonder.....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Interestingly, the distinctive pungent smell that the TCW-3 oil has is just like the smell of kerosene or white spirit...
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Just an interesting update on this. One of the claimed benefits of using TC-W3 as a fuel additive is reduced oil consumption due to improved piston ring sealing.

I've been using it at a rate of 1:640 (ish - in reality I put 20 mL in a full tank) in my VTR and my CB500 for the last year or so. Now, both bikes have a fair number of miles on - 77k on the CB and 96k on the VTR - and both use a bit of oil (actually both have done since I got them with waaaaay fewer miles on them, so I don't think the consumption is age-related). Neither's excessive but I have to top up around every 2,000 miles.

Since beginning using the TC-W3, the CB uses almost no oil at all whereas the VTR's rate is unchanged. Go figure...