No wonder the battery won't charge

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
TaxiDriver

No wonder the battery won't charge

Post by TaxiDriver »

I wonder if this is why the battery is'nt charging...….
Its a none standard one too!!!

E.Marquez

Re: No wonder the battery won't charge

Post by E.Marquez »

Another cheap RR failure...
Hate seeing it...
Did the battery survive?

Fix it once right and be done with it.
FH012 or FH020 MOSFET RR , couple of feet of good wire in 12ga and 14ga, 40 amp circuit breaker, heavy duty terminals for the battery connections, some heat shrink tubing and 2 Furukawa 250 QLW Series R&R Connectors.
80-mr_kit_update_81b89e1368ee3d11e63499a87cc5a3341bdd3511[1].jpg
80-mr_kit_update_81b89e1368ee3d11e63499a87cc5a3341bdd3511[1].jpg (39.24 KiB) Viewed 5017 times
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

Yea battery is ok,just bought a used one from a R1for now,see how we go.
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

So if these things run really hot I can understand why they melt,especially when bolted to the frame plate....

I've mounted this replacement R1 r/r,[yes I know its identical but lets see what happens],leaving an air gap between the unit and frame....

Just nipping out to Halfords for a fire extinguisher...….. :lol:
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

Well its running a treat now with 14.4v @ 5000 rpm and no smell of burning,yet.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Personally I would not leave an air gap. It wants to be touching the steel subframe as much as possible and using it as a heat sink.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Yes metal to metal contact will transfer heat better than to air.

Looks like an SH like-for-like replacement it being an R1 unless marked as FH will be much the sameness as the cooked one. - Have a search for MOSFET FH type regulator rectifiers which are also fitted to various Yamahas inc the R1 etc and will also have a different connector.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You can use heat transfer paste which is usually used in mounting processors in computers.
And drilling holes in the tail plastics to allow airflow is also effective.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

The OEM or pattern aftermarket Regulator / Rectifier which is diode based will fail...today, tomorrow, next year. Likely taking out at least the battery if not wiring harness and gauge.

The remedy is: Replace with a Shindengen FH020AA or FH012AA MOSFET RR using Furukawa 250 QLW Series R&R Connectors, good tined wire, 35-40 amp fuse or breaker, and 1mm thick heavy solid brass ring terminals sized to fit your specific battery terminals

If you have the tools and proper wire on hand, the connectors and terminals, the circuit breaker (vice having to buy three rolls to get the proper wire, packages of terminals, proper crimping tools) you can piece together what you need for about 69 GBP. for just the items needed.

A custom made kit with wiring made just for the VTR is $100 GBP, and its ready to install.

A General fit kit you coil up extra wire, but that has all the good components and good trusted workmanship (not all crimping is the same) is about 129.GBP.

So worst case to do it the better way, Under 130 GBP and never have to worry about it again :thumbup:

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot the thief like prices to get stuff shipped to you blokes..... that adds like 42 GBP to the cost when having a kit or supplies shipped to you from a US seller.

EDIT 2: Damned If that did not read like a door to door vacuum salesman... Not my intent... if you want to make your own kit and need help with how or parts source...ask, happy to help
Last edited by E.Marquez on Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Post event services

Total Rider
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

I got mine from "roadstercycles" and including shipping from USA cost about £140.As it was plug and play took about half an hour to fit complete with in line fuse.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

alanfjones1411 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:53 pm I got mine from "roadstercycles" and including shipping from USA cost about £140.As it was plug and play took about half an hour to fit complete with in line fuse.
Perfect, thanks I was hoping someone for your side of the pond that had bought one would chime in.

If you remember, how did they ship it? USPS or other?
Best price I can find for shipping to the UK is like 40 GBP
Post event services

Total Rider
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

E.Marquez wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:11 pm
alanfjones1411 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:53 pm I got mine from "roadstercycles" and including shipping from USA cost about £140.As it was plug and play took about half an hour to fit complete with in line fuse.
Perfect, thanks I was hoping someone for your side of the pond that had bought one would chime in.

If you remember, how did they ship it? USPS or other?
Best price I can find for shipping to the UK is like 40 GBP
Can't remember.It was 3 years ago.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

Unfortunately I don't got that kind of money atm so a cheap replacement will have to do for now,
Plus I'm determind to see this through without the bugger burning up,that would be something wouldn't it.
kemes

Post by kemes »

E.Marquez wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:33 pm The issue is clearly known.. The OEM or pattern after market Regulator / Rectifier which is diode based will fail...today, tomorrow, next year. Likely taking out at least the battery if not wiring harness and gauge.
Is there a known cure for the gauge or does it just have to replaced with a working one?
2000' VTR1000 Firestrom
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

kemes wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:58 pm
E.Marquez wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:33 pm The issue is clearly known.. The OEM or pattern after market Regulator / Rectifier which is diode based will fail...today, tomorrow, next year. Likely taking out at least the battery if not wiring harness and gauge.
Is there a known cure for the gauge or does it just have to replaced with a working one?
Known? Not this bloke.... Im sure a nerdy type that owns an Oscilloscope, pocket protector, and soldering iron could work it out. :lol:

I have not had a damaged one in my hands to look and just because I own a Oscilloscope does not mean I know how to use it..... :mrgreen: BUt if I turn enough knobs and push enough buttons the darn thing has managed to tell me what I needed in the few times I've used it.

Do you have a voltage damaged one?
Post event services

Total Rider