Un- familiar noise...NOT CCTS....

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
DavoVTR1000

Un- familiar noise...NOT CCTS....

Post by DavoVTR1000 »

Hey guys,

My storm has started making a ticking/zzzzzzz sound which isn’t there on tick over or when the bike is cold it starts around 5 mins or so in to a journey and isn’t to bad when accelerating but it very noticeable when decelerating whilst in gear, if I pull the clutch it disappears as well as if you rev the bike in N.

I know it’s not the ccts as had the manual ones put on when the service and carbs were sorted out the beginning of the summer.

I have tried to get a video of the noise but it’s not that easy to do as the exhaust over powers the sound on film.

Could it possible be a clutch rattle? It did squeal the other day when I spiritedly took off from a set of lights.

I have the bike booked in to a stealers to have a proper going over as it also sounds like something is rattling(lose bolt rattle) when I hit a bump etc in the road but have gone over every inch and can’t find what it is.

The bikes done 44k and I don’t know when or if the clutch has been changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DavoVTR1000

Re: Un- familiar noise...NOT CCTS....

Post by DavoVTR1000 »

The biting point of the clutch is right at the end of the lever also.

jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

How old are the chain and sprockets? The noise from the front sprocket changes as it wears (doesn't necessarily mean it's worn out), is different on deceleration vs acceleration, and is different with the clutch engaged or not because of the altered loading on the chain.
DavoVTR1000

Post by DavoVTR1000 »

The chain and sprocket were changed about 4K ago(before I owned the bike)

I did have the tyres changed a couple of months ago which was not long before the noise started very slightly has got worse the last 3 weeks.

Could it be that it wasn’t put back on at the right setting?

jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

There are so many things which can cause this noise, so it's hard to say without hearing it and without looking at the bike. Whereabouts are you based? Maybe someone on here can have a listen/take a look.
DavoVTR1000

Post by DavoVTR1000 »

I’m based in bristol. It rides fine which is what’s confusing me.

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Check the rear sprocket bolts aren't undoing and fouling the swingarm.
Also the chain can clip the link pipe if too slack.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

I’m in Bristol if you want a second opinion. I don’t mind stopping by for a listen. We’re abouts are you. I’m in Yate but work in Filton
Pete.l

My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
DavoVTR1000

Post by DavoVTR1000 »

I’m in charfield so only a few miles up the road from Yate. Could ride through Yate tomorrow afternoon on the way home if your about around 5-530.

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I am with tonymon on the chain touching the link pipe. That could be both the clunk and the zzzz noise
AMcQ
DavoVTR1000

Post by DavoVTR1000 »

That’s for the input guys will have a look at the chain and sprocket when I’ve sort the lads out on site. I love being the boss, get the lads working then I can play with the toys. Brought the Disco 300tdi in the other day. Spent most of the day cleaning the intercooler, replacing the turbo hoses, fitting a boost pin, gauge and EGT gauge and playing with the fuel pump.

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

My bike developed a weird noise once. * It only started above a certain speed near the national limit of course & got worse the faster I went...

Sort of a buzzing high speed clicking noise...

Turns out it was the new to me jacket I had on flapping around the shoulders... :lol: :lol:

I worked this out as said jacket developed a rip in the upper shoulder where the seem just gave out, it was returned & refunded...

The noise never to be heard again...The jacket I can't remember the make but it was a light weight summer job of which I wont be buying that type again...

* No it wasn't the noise of it scrapping down the road before any smartarses pipe up this was many moons ago before Ole Red bit the dust...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
DavoVTR1000

Post by DavoVTR1000 »

Ok so sent the bike in to Fowlers to see what it is and they are getting back to me tomorrow morning with a full diagnostics but they said one of the ccts is making a noise but more worryingly the bike is running on one cylinder? When I rode it there(22 miles or motorway and a roads) I didn’t notice any difference in performance? Not sure how it could be running on 1 cylinder? Will find out the full story in the morning but doesn’t sound too good?

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Is this the same place that installed the manual tensioners? if so what fitting intructructions did you give them to follow? could be simply one fitted too slack or worked it way loose due to incorrect installation i.e sans thread lock / lock nut not done correctly.

As for running on one pot - could be spark plug / loose plug cap / ht lead /coil / fuel tap diaphragm / dodgy vacuum hose. Just a case of working through possible causes from simple to more complex. Hopefully not a timing jump due to possibly MCCT issue.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
DavoVTR1000

Post by DavoVTR1000 »

No not the place that did the mccts, I’ve taken it to a main Honda dealer this time as want it sorted, nearly px it for a cbr1000 a month ago then the noises started so spending money on it and keeping it for another season.

I’m not sure which cylinder, they will ring me in the morning and tell me more but it’s the front MCCT making a noise.

The bit that has confused me is it hasn’t ridden like it’s been running on 1 cylinder? Still pulls and kicks at 6-7k?