Un- familiar noise...NOT CCTS....

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
tony.mon

Re: Un- familiar noise...NOT CCTS....

Post by tony.mon »

If it's only running on host be it feels like a 250 single- you'd notice for sure.
Ask them what they mean.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
DavoVTR1000

Post by DavoVTR1000 »

Ok so they have sorted the tensioner out it wasn’t tightened right?? Not sure what they mean by that but it’s sorted.

They want another 3 hours investigation @ £78 per hour to see why it’s running on one cylinder. They said it’s rideable and I can pick it up and re book it in for another day as they haven’t got space to store it etc. Will see what they mean by running on one cylinder when I pick it up tomorrow.

My plan is to make a list of things that could cause they cylinder problem and work my way through it myself eliminating as I go so when I get it sent back in I can say it’s not these etc.

Any help creating said list would be muchly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

I wrote earlier....
As for running on one pot - could be spark plug / loose plug cap / ht lead /coil / fuel tap diaphragm / dodgy vacuum hose. Just a case of working through possible causes from simple to more complex. Hopefully not a timing jump due to possibly MCCT issue.
You'll need to lift the tank for some of those jobs so familiarise yourself with hose positions > viewtopic.php?f=31&t=42689
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
DavoVTR1000

Post by DavoVTR1000 »

Thanks wicky going to start having a look tomorrow soon as I pick it up, saves me from going shopping with the misses and kids. Lol

alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Wicky wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:30 pm

As for running on one pot - could be spark plug / loose plug cap / ht lead /coil / fuel tap diaphragm / dodgy vacuum hose. Just a case of working through possible causes from simple to more complex. Hopefully not a timing jump due to possibly MCCT issue.
I'm with Wicky on this one.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Speaking from experience, little to be fair, it should be very obvious if it is only running on one.
Get on it and give it a blast if it performs as it should job done
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Is the chain tensioned correctly?
I have a custom audible alarm installed on my VTR that emits a sound much like you describe when my chain is even slightly on the loose side.......the chain contacts the exhaust pipe... :lol:
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
DavoVTR1000

Post by DavoVTR1000 »

It’s not the chain I checked that. Will see how it rides tomorrow when I pick it up but it certainly wasn’t running on 1 cylinder when I dropped it off.

alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

The loss of power would certainly be noticed if it was only firing on one cylinder.A simple test would be to feel the front and back exhaust downpipes
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

A simple test would be to feel the front and back exhaust downpipes
[/quote]

Alan he can't do that you should know health & safety. .......he just might.....pull a muscle bending over 😃
DavoVTR1000

Post by DavoVTR1000 »

Picked the bike up this morning. It’s not running on one cylinder but they said there is a noise in the front cylinder. Rode fine on the way home, pulled strong and even lifted the front wheel in 2nd on a very spirited take off from a green light starting line. Going to have a play around and see what’s going on before paying the £80 an hour they want to do more investigation. Pops and bangs a lot on deceleration.

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

DavoVTR1000 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:34 am Picked the bike up this morning. It’s not running on one cylinder but they said there is a noise in the front cylinder. Rode fine on the way home, pulled strong and even lifted the front wheel in 2nd on a very spirited take off from a green light starting lineImage. Going to have a play around and see what’s going on before paying the £80 an hour they want to do more investigation. Pops and bangs a lot on deceleration.

Air leak in the exhaust at a join somewhere...Check all the clamps are tight...One of mine on Custurd rotted away at the rear header...Found it rattling around futher down the pipe...New clamp sorted it out & managed to fit the new one by opening up the clamp fully. Saved dropping the whole system but you would have to do that if the graphite gasket is fubar...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
DavoVTR1000

Post by DavoVTR1000 »

Thanks Mac will start there.