16/41 sprockets going up two rear

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
KatanaKid

16/41 sprockets going up two rear

Post by KatanaKid »

Hi all,

I have been combing over some old, old forums and after reading a few replies from trusty members (ie. Chris aka sirch and others, thank you kindly) I have decided I'd like to go up two on the rear to 43. A couple of guys said I could use a standard length chain which would shorten the wheelbase a tad, but the guy in the shop said he will add two links and supply a 104 link chain instead of 102. What do you think standard or up it to 104?

Cheers
Maybe swearing will help
Stratman

Re: 16/41 sprockets going up two rear

Post by Stratman »

I used a standard chain
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

KatanaKid

Post by KatanaKid »

Thanks Stratman. Did you have any trouble with the chain being too tight when you installed it? Standard seems to be what is being used on 43, i wonder why the shop is saying go up two links?
Maybe swearing will help
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

A new chain is always a good idea with new sprockets. Why don't you fit the new larger rear sprocket and pop a new front sprocket on as well. See how well the original chain fits and base the size of the new chain on that. Just be aware that the new chain will be a bit tighter than the old one and if the old one is only just long enough adding a couple of links is a good move.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
KatanaKid

Post by KatanaKid »

Sounds like a decent plan Kermit, but I am ordering new sprockets and a chain in a kit and the shop has suggested he will add two links to the chain to accommodate the two extra teeth on my rear. From what I've been reading here the standard size chain seems to be the go even if I go up two teeth.
Maybe swearing will help
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Yup, seems the best way to go.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
KatanaKid

Post by KatanaKid »

You think standard length as well?
Maybe swearing will help
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

i put a new standard chain on my yellow bike and it was running a 43.. :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

KatanaKid wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:18 pm Thanks Stratman. Did you have any trouble with the chain being too tight when you installed it? Standard seems to be what is being used on 43, i wonder why the shop is saying go up two links?
If you keep the standard chain length when fitting a 2 teeth bigger rear sprocket, that will change the change the geometry of the bike, as it will shorten the wheelbase due to the wheel then sitting further forward in the swingarm. It won't be a huge change, but if you have upgraded your Storm's suspension it will change things slightly meaning you may have to adjust your finely tuned settings to get it back to where you have it now.
That is the only reason I can think of why your chain supplier is suggesting a longer chain than standard, so that the rear wheel sits more or less where it does now in the swingarm slots.

When I tried a 43 tooth rear sprocket I used the standard chain length, that was mainly so I could go back to the standard rear sprocket if I wanted to,

Chris.
Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

I have been on 16/43 for a while. I changed when I was using the Storm as a commuter, I figured quicker takeoffs etc suited shorter gearing. Now I don't ride so much, more highways and outback, I could probably go back to standard.

An excellent site is https://www.gearingcommander.com/ to see what effect changes make. The change from 41 to 43 teeth with a 102 link chain will bring the sprockets closer by 0.34" (8.6mm).
06 VTR1000F; bits by Jack Flash, Erik Marquez & Jamie Daugherty. SP/954 front and SP2 rear in the works.
Build thread; http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=36638
KatanaKid

Post by KatanaKid »

I thank you again gents for your speedy and informed replies. I did have a look at the gearing commander website (after i turned off my adblock) and tried different inputs. It is amazing what you can find on the net now. And yes I realise about the shortened wheelbase with larger sprockets, makes sense to my shrinking brain.

I do remember installing a chain and sprockets on my Katana years ago and the chain would stretch over time so I would end up adjusting the rear wheel back a fair bit over the life of the chain, as we would with our dirt bikes. How much stretch should I expect over the life of an X-ring chain? The sprockets on my red beast look ok and the chain slack is pretty good but the wheel is as far back as can be adjusted.

Cheers
Maybe swearing will help
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

KatanaKid wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:15 am How much stretch should I expect over the life of an X-ring chain? The sprockets on my red beast look ok and the chain slack is pretty good but the wheel is as far back as can be adjusted.

Cheers
That will all depend on how well the chain and sprockets are looked after, and how much abuse you give it :wink: A Scott Oiler will help in extending the life of the new kit.

You can check how much your existing chain and sprockets are warn by grabbing hold of the chain at the 3 o'clock position on the rear sprocket and seeing if you can lift it off the sprocket. If it's badly warn you will see daylight between the sprocket and chain,

Chris.
KatanaKid

Post by KatanaKid »

Not so much abuse these days, I have developed a sense of mortality as i got older. Funny that. Would make more sense to want to take less risk when we are young so we can keep doing fun things.

I was thinking there for a second that X-ring chains might be made so strong that they never stretch. Thinking about the reasoning that a larger sprocket with standard chain would shorten the wheelbase a little, but as the chain stretches the rear moves back as it is adjusted anyways.
Maybe swearing will help
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

KatanaKid wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:36 pm Would make more sense to want to take less risk when we are young so we can keep doing fun things.
A very good point that :)
KatanaKid wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:36 pm Not so much abuse these days, I have developed a sense of mortality as i got older. Funny that. Would make more sense to want to take less risk when we are young so we can keep doing fun things.

I was thinking there for a second that X-ring chains might be made so strong that they never stretch. Thinking about the reasoning that a larger sprocket with standard chain would shorten the wheelbase a little, but as the chain stretches the rear moves back as it is adjusted anyways.
I think you'll find they all stretch to a degree. I like to run mine (much to the annoyance of my mot tester) on the slack side, as when you sit on the bike a certain amount of slack is taken up. That and with the Scott Oiler I find the chain doesn't stretch too often,

Chris.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

From experience with HD X-ring chains there'll be an initial chain adjustment early on just after fitting - then not much at all just cleaning, lubing & riding - then chain adjustment gets problematic with stiff links slowly becoming evident as a hint it'll be time soon for new C&S.

Can't you get the chain with two extra - do a dry fit with the sprockets you chose and if too long remove, or if okay rivet up and ride it. Or stick to standard ratios and just ride a gear lower.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts