Lightened Flywheel - what's involved?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
bobbler

Lightened Flywheel - what's involved?

Post by bobbler »

While making a to do list for the winter I came across a few posts about the benefits of a lighter flywheel and was wondering what sort of cost or work is involved?

I have access to a basic M/C shop at work and can operate a lathe but I would rather let experience rule if it isn't too expensive a job.
MacV2

Re: Lightened Flywheel - what's involved?

Post by MacV2 »

bobbler wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:44 am While making a to do list for the winter I came across a few posts about the benefits of a lighter flywheel and was wondering what sort of cost or work is involved?

I have access to a basic M/C shop at work and can operate a lathe but I would rather let experience rule if it isn't too expensive a job.
Take the old one off & fit the new one, easy...

You'll need a flywheel, natch unless your bikes off road for a bit, but having a spare is usefull in case of fek ups whilst cutting or if you don't like it & want to go back to std. A gasket & a puller only other expence...

Fabiostar will be along very shorty, shortly to tell you what to do re mounting it on the lathe...or better still get a flywheel & send it to him to cut... :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
bobbler

Post by bobbler »

MacV2 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:59 am
bobbler wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:44 am While making a to do list for the winter I came across a few posts about the benefits of a lighter flywheel and was wondering what sort of cost or work is involved?

Take the old one off & fit the new one, easy...

You'll need a flywheel, natch unless your bikes off road for a bit, but having a spare is usefull in case of fek ups whilst cutting or if you don't like it & want to go back to std. A gasket & a puller only other expence...

Fabiostar will be along very shorty, shortly to tell you what to do re mounting it on the lathe...or better still get a flywheel & send it to him to cut... :thumbup:
Cheers Mac. I don't mind pulling the old one off as once the ice arrives the vtr will be put to bed for a couple of months but having a spare unit is probably a good idea.
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Do do it right?
flywheel pusher tool to remove flywheel without damage
A machinist with a lathe and a specific custom mandrel to mount the flywheel and adjust position to less then 1/2 thousand run out, live center that fits the custom mandrel

And then you can turn out this
finished 4_7.jpg
finished 4_7.jpg (46.71 KiB) Viewed 4156 times
Fabiostar is your guy on that side of the pond.
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
bobbler

Post by bobbler »

E.Marquez wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:46 pm Do do it right?
flywheel pusher tool to remove flywheel without damage
A machinist with a lathe and a specific custom mandrel to mount the flywheel and adjust position to less then 1/2 thousand run out, live center that fits the custom mandrel

And then you can turn out this finished 4_7.jpg
Fabiostar is your guy on that side of the pond.
Thanks, I will wait for fabiostars input as I don't have enough posts for pm's yet.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

He's in the garage with a grinder. He can't hear you.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:47 pm He's in the garage with a grinder. He can't hear you.
:lol: :lol:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

MacV2 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:41 pm
KermitLeFrog wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:47 pm He's in the garage searching grinder. He can't hear you.
:wink:
daz350

Post by daz350 »

Was there a member on here do exchange ones
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

MacV2 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:42 pm
MacV2 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:41 pm
KermitLeFrog wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:47 pm He's in the garage searching grinder. He can't hear you.
:wink:
No Grindr, just a finger in his 'ear.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

hello bobbler ... as has been said. two options, get a proper mandrel to mount it on with the same taper as the flywheel..

or option 2. i have one sitting here iv just finished. you pull your off. send it to me with the bearing still attached. and for £70 crispy pounds i send you this one back with your bearing fitted. chuck it back into your bike and wheelie of into the distance.

boom :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
bobbler

Post by bobbler »

fabiostar wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:57 pm hello bobbler ... as has been said. two options, get a proper mandrel to mount it on with the same taper as the flywheel..

or option 2. i have one sitting here iv just finished. you pull your off. send it to me with the bearing still attached. and for £70 crispy pounds i send you this one back with your bearing fitted. chuck it back into your bike and wheelie of into the distance.

boom :clap:
Thanks Fabiostar. Option 2 sounds good to me. I'm hoping to get another month or 2 of riding before the weather turns and then I'll have it packed up and heading your way if that's ok? By then I may have enough posts to pm you and make arrangements as well :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

no problem sir thats fine. :thumbup: . youv only a few posts to go :clap: ... give me a wee bit of warning as iv a few coming into me during the inter months to be done.. :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Beef

Post by Beef »

Hey Fabiostar, can I jump on this band wagon too?
I'll be pulling my track bike apart this Autumn/winter!! :thumbup:
bobbler

Post by bobbler »

fabiostar wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:04 am no problem sir thats fine. :thumbup: . youv only a few posts to go :clap: ... give me a wee bit of warning as iv a few coming into me during the inter months to be done.. :thumbup:
About 5 now by my counting. I don't mind waiting as once its off It's likely I wont be riding again until the new year. :thumbup: