Lightened Flywheel - what's involved?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
fabiostar

Re: Lightened Flywheel - what's involved?

Post by fabiostar »

Beef wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:05 pm Hey Fabiostar, can I jump on this band wagon too?
I'll be pulling my track bike apart this Autumn/winter!! :thumbup:
no problems sir just give me a shout. i normally always have one sitting ready to go, when it goes out a few days later i have the next one in.machined and ready to go to its new home... you wont be disapointed :lol: :lol:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Beef

Post by Beef »

:thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

if its for a track bike. i can do you a silly as you want weight :lol: :lol:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Beef

Post by Beef »

fabiostar wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:17 pm if its for a track bike. i can do you a silly as you want weight :lol: :lol:
:? mmmmm no idea!! :lol:

Looking at the manual, I need a flywheel holding tool and puller -after the nightmare with removing the flywheel on my Multistrada, can anyone confirm where to get these from/what brand so I get the correct ones please?
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Beef wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:41 am
fabiostar wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:17 pm if its for a track bike. i can do you a silly as you want weight :lol: :lol:

Looking at the manual, I need a flywheel holding tool and puller -after the nightmare with removing the flywheel on my Multistrada, can anyone confirm where to get these from/what brand so I get the correct ones please?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Motorcycl ... rk:16:pf:0

But check size!!!!
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Beef wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:41 am

M22x 1.5 RH thread

A made for use remover is just a few pounds.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ballards-NEW ... :rk:1:pf:0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLYWHEEL-PUL ... 0505.m3226

but any M22 x 1.5 right hand thread bolt will work... There are cars and trucks that uses that size for drain plugs ....they work as well.
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Slightly off-topic but what is the reason NOT to have the lightest possible flywheel on a race bike? Flywheel weight (rotational inertia) smooths the engine at low revs and allows a lower idle speed. Neither of which are needed on a race bike. It also slows lateral transitions. What am I missing?
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:02 pm Slightly off-topic but what is the reason NOT to have the lightest possible flywheel on a race bike? Flywheel weight (rotational inertia) smooths the engine at low revs and allows a lower idle speed. Neither of which are needed on a race bike. It also slows lateral transitions. What am I missing?
IMHO, there is no reason not to have the lightest version on a street ridden VTR.. Not a single person actually using one my lightest one has had any complaints or gone back to a heaver one.
Post event services

Total Rider
Beef

Post by Beef »

E.Marquez I'll take your advice - I know why they have flywheels but I don't know the true effect on riding, would it be more likely to lock the rear on changing down and not matching engine speed?

Just to point out, my bike is a track bike NOT a race bike #enthusiasticspastic :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the links Mac & E.Marquez
Beef

Post by Beef »

Any advice on a flywheel holding tool?
Commando77

Post by Commando77 »

Mines in bits for gearbox brgs. so I used an Iveco truck stud to push off and a windy gun to undo the bolt. In Fleet if you have no-one closer.
Beef

Post by Beef »

Thanks Commando, how do you intend to tighten - I was told definitely not to use a rattle gun to put my Multi flywheel on - I assumed the VTR would be the same?
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Beef wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:14 am Any advice on a flywheel holding tool?
If you have a torch and vice, an easy way is go buy a cheap open end spanner, heat the handle part near the open end cherry red and bend a Z shape in it.
DRZ flywheel holder.jpg
DRZ flywheel holder.jpg (33.84 KiB) Viewed 3743 times
Like that only for the VTR you would use the open end
Or

If you have a welder and such, its pretty easy to weld a tool up from some flat stock or plate and some tube or bar.
flywheel holder DR650.jpg
flywheel holder  VTR.jpg
If it is a non Hex shape like the VTR is, I cut um out with a plasma torch these days if I don't already have one that fits . If its a hex shaped part of the flywheel, I still go get a cheap spanner and bend it up to fit...quick and easy.

I would not recommend using a strap wrench, chain wrench or even a strap type holding tool made for flywheels on the OD of the flywheel if the flywheel has been lightened.

The steel around the magnets on a lightened flywheel is very thin after the work and easily deformed
Motorcycle-Flywheel-Clutch-Pulley-Holder-Tool-MG60022-[1].jpg
Motorcycle-Flywheel-Clutch-Pulley-Holder-Tool-MG60022-[1].jpg (28.98 KiB) Viewed 3743 times
Post event services

Total Rider
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Beef wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:31 am Thanks Commando, how do you intend to tighten - I was told definitely not to use a rattle gun to put my Multi flywheel on - I assumed the VTR would be the same?
Correct, while some do it anyway and the earth did not stop spinning, more than a few have broken the hardened washer, overtightened the bolt, under tightened the bolt and in general made a mess of it.

Hold the flywheel with a tool and tighten the flywheel both properly to avoid issues.
Post event services

Total Rider
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Beef wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:05 am E.Marquez I'll take your advice - I know why they have flywheels but I don't know the true effect on riding, would it be more likely to lock the rear on changing down and not matching engine speed?

Just to point out, my bike is a track bike NOT a race bike #enthusiasticspastic :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the links Mac & E.Marquez
Id suggest doing some searches on this forum and the US one to get a feel for what folks using the light weight flywheel think.
Personally I like the bikes reaction to the lightweight flywheel..

Faster rev up and More engine breaking work well for me.

An unskilled rider that treats the throttle like an on off switch the light flywheel may not work out so well.
Leaned over riding a 9/10's of traction and chopping the throttle will already cause the bike at best to stand up and go off line, if not break traction and cause a nice high side. Ham fisted throttle actions with any bike are bad, with less flywheel mass its more pronounced.
Post event services

Total Rider