Flush fit front indicators

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
bobbler

Flush fit front indicators

Post by bobbler »

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has replaced the rather large front indicators with something that will sit pretty flush with the fairing?

I've seen a few led style on eBay but I'd rather have something that is more of a direct replacement using standard bulbs. I'm willing to have a go at most things mechanical but electrics aren't really my thing so plug and play would be better.

Thanks
Wicky

Re: Flush fit front indicators

Post by Wicky »

Trafficators fit flush with the fairing

Replacement indicators
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
bobbler

Post by bobbler »

Wicky wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:42 pm

Trafficators fit flush with the fairing

Replacement indicators
Thanks, the led indicators in the thread look like the ones I've seen on ebay but there are some oval ones on one of the bikes in the pics that look like they would do the job.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

I have a set of flush mount indis still for sale.

See here for how they look ...

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=41384
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Bobbler check your PM's... :thumbup:
bobbler

Post by bobbler »

MacV2 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:04 am Bobbler check your PM's... :thumbup:
Cheers Mac they look like the smoked ones fitted to the tail of mine by the previous owner. Are they a straight fit or a little fettling required?

Thanks,
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

bobbler wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:45 pm
MacV2 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:04 am Bobbler check your PM's... :thumbup:
Cheers Mac they look like the smoked ones fitted to the tail of mine by the previous owner. Are they a straight fit or a little fettling required?

Thanks,
I didn't fit them Bob, just took them off...

By the look of the way they are mounted in the pic i posted, you'll need to drill a hole for the bolt.

I've checked on a couple of different fairings & as std the indis just fit in the hole in the fairing, on anther i have with flush mounts holes have been drilled to fit the flush mounts. Obviously these cant be seen when fitted.

However I've had flush mounts in the past that were just held on by double sided tape.

I imagine that if you could remove the bolt on these or cut it flush then with some strong DS tape they would be fine.

These ones are bulbs so as for wiring up they are plug & play
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The fairing has a slight curve but the reverse of the Indy's is flat, so use a piece of 3mm closed cell foam sheet behind it, any stationers or craft shop sells it, usually with a sticky reverse.
That fills the gap nicely, and if you use black foam it doesn't show when fitted with two small holes and a nut and washer behind.
Don't overtighten or you'll crack the lens, but if you do you can repair it with model plane polystyrene cement, or plastic plumbing glue, same thing.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
bobbler

Post by bobbler »

Thanks for the replies.

Mac, I was hoping for something as a direct fit so I didn't have to drill the fairings if that's at all possible. I've seen some on ebay but I'm not sure if they will fit and being LED they will probably require some form of resistor adding which I'm not sure about either.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-12V-Flush ... 1438.l2649
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

bobbler wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:24 am Thanks for the replies.

Mac, I was hoping for something as a direct fit so I didn't have to drill the fairings if that's at all possible. I've seen some on ebay but I'm not sure if they will fit and being LED they will probably require some form of resistor adding which I'm not sure about either.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-12V-Flush ... 1438.l2649
Yeah they will fit, the big white nut just holds them in place but as they are LED you will need resitors... Either in line, 1 per side or if you get rear LED's as well then a new indi relay will do all 4.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I think those ones just drop into the hole rather than sitting flush with the fairing surface.
Ask for dimensions.
bobbler

Post by bobbler »

tony.mon wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:43 pm I think those ones just drop into the hole rather than sitting flush with the fairing surface.
Ask for dimensions.
At a rough guess from a Chinese site (probably where they come from anyway) they are around 50mm×35mm.

I also found these which are slightly more but also a bit longer and look like they use standard bulbs?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3688992483
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

They fit but only just cover the hole widthways.
However they are very flat and can't be seen from in front.