Timing- / cam-alignment, new CCT's, valves...

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
gabi81

Re: Timing- / cam-alignment, new CCT's, valves...

Post by gabi81 »

I used a sparkplug socket with a magnet inside..attached to a tbar to push down
As you push the magnet picks the small bits up job done

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Aha you know what it is black and yellow...black and yellow !!!
vivec

Post by vivec »

Got a purpose built piece of metal for extracting the valves. It's a cheap kind of kit (25 euros) but it did the job perfectly. The springs in that VTR are so strong however, that the tool bent a little 8).

It's like this one, but not this one; https://www.ebay.nl/itm/Valve-spring-co ... 2498679060

Anyway, the inlet-valves are toast, but the seats, guides, springs and other parts look unaffected / undamaged.

Ordered a new pair of valves, new seals, new 'little-thingies-that-hold-the-spring-to-the-valve' / spiggots, new head gasket and an alternator gasket. Manual CCT's arrived as well.

The alternator nut won't come off without mutilating it, so I'll be aligning TDC without the cover OR by turning the rear wheel, but it's pretty difficult getting the marks to line up that way.

While waiting for the parts to arrive I'm figuring out ways to clean everything as good as possible.
All the tubing, radiators are off, fluids drained, and figuring out the best way to clean the engine itself. Chemicals? High pressure jet? It's not nasty dirty, but I want to get it as clean as possible now everything is off anyway.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

The alternator nut won't come off without mutilating it, so I'll be aligning TDC without the cover OR by turning the rear wheel, but it's pretty difficult getting the marks to line up that way.
Use a drift to get it off > viewtopic.php?t=18711 You don't want to mess around with getting the timing set correctly esp as the cam chain probably has hopped, skipped & jumped around.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
vivec

Post by vivec »

Both cams are out of the block since the entire head is off. So I'm pretty sure the chain has hopped :wink: .

I can turn the rear wheel to get the engine to turn, or I can torque the engine by the crank, but without the crankcase cover. Need to place the replacement mark somewhere though, that's the tricky part.

I'm water boiling, punch chiseling, center punching nothing ;). The cover's already off! And a new gasket costs less than a new bolt.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Put the cover back on before chiselling, otherwise the cover just moves around with the inspection cap.
Make two dents on opposite sides of the cap and drift once at each point.
Dont hit the outermost edge of the cap but about 3 to 5mm in towards the centre of the cap , striking it about 45 degrees to the vertical
If it really won't shift, there should be someone on here selling a 2nd hand alternator cover cheap enough.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
vivec

Post by vivec »

As I said... none of that ;)
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Bigger hammer honda special tool required
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Bring it round, I'll shift it for you.
I've done dozens, and not been beaten yet. .
Better still, bring it to the Wales meet and we'll have it as the evenings entertainment.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
vivec

Post by vivec »

25% of my mind actually just concidered this...
But... being Dutch, living in the Netherlands and no holiday-days left... practicality takes over :wink: .

Thank you though, for your suggestion and offered help good sir!
adewhitmarsh

Post by adewhitmarsh »

Hi,i can also supply you with a pair of manual ccts, contact me at www Facebook. Ade whitmarsh or email adrianwhitmarsh@yahoo.co.uk cheers Ade
vivec

Post by vivec »

New valves fitted :) !

Now I have this new problem... my engine won't turn a full turn (by turning the crankcase nut). It gets stuck somewhere.

To be safe I released all cam chains and camshafts. All valves are up and still the engine won't turn.
I'm pretty sure that it's my front camchain being stuck or off the bottom gear (whats-its-name) crank sprocket...

Now, my alternator cover is off already. Is the crank sprocket behind the spinning-circular-thingy-which-has-the-FT-RT-markings flywheel?

I want to check if the chain has free motion, because it 'feels' like it hasn't.

As I said, it's not valves or anything since all cams and chains and CCT's are 'off'.
Last edited by vivec on Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gabi81

Post by gabi81 »

Has it gone in gear? Maybe u stuck it in gear

vivec

Post by vivec »

Yeah, it’s in 6th. Isn’t is supposed to be?!
gabi81

Post by gabi81 »

Nope how can u turn the engine to get tdc with it in gear? Neutral...

vivec

Post by vivec »

Maximum effort! Didn’t go so bad / hard. It’s quite easy to push is through sixth. It was in sixth since I was initially planning on turnin the rear wheel since my alternator cover nut is fixed shut. But the alternator cover is off now, so neutral might be the better choice 😉
Last edited by vivec on Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.