Remus Grand Prix Carbon Repair Help Please?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
What have I done!

Remus Grand Prix Carbon Repair Help Please?

Post by What have I done! »

Please excuse me if this is the wrong place but new to the forum world!!

I have just got a pair of Remus Grand Prix cans in Carbon but I need to repair or get them repaired.

I've looked into repair kits etc but wondered if anyone could advise of someone that can repair them for me or best ways to do it?

One has a hole and both have worn thin areas on them and look like they have been rubbing at some stage.

How do I fill the hole before patching? Should I just re-sleeve and not bother patching?

TIA :cool2
AMCQ46

Re: Remus Grand Prix Carbon Repair Help Please?

Post by AMCQ46 »

unlike other carbon cans, the Remus ones are double skinned... that is there is a metal sleeve under the carbon outer, and that is why they can survive the pulses of a V2 engine without the carbon failing.

that is good news and bad news.
good because the structure of the can is still conserved even if the carbon is being removed
bad because the carbon sleeves you can get from various supplier might not fit on top of the metal inner. .. but I havnt tried so I cant say one way or the other.

what I will say is that wne I tried to repack mine, I couldn't work out how they came apart!. I drilled out all the rivets at the bottom end of the can and used as much force as I dared, but there was no movement, so perhaps the bottom band is just for show or to hold the carbon sleeve on, and the top band is where the joint is......... but I decided they didn't need a repack that badly and gave up! just put new rivits back in and refitted.

so when you do get them apart I will be interested to understand the construction and see where the joints are so I can do my repacking :D
AMcQ
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Be better off re sleeving them. Patching ain't a good idea on Carbon...

Drill all the rivets out bin the old sleeve & the wadding if there is any left...

Re pack the new sleeves, re rivet the end caps... buy gas tight rivets ! Re fit the cans to bike & Bob's ya uncle...unless hes a TV then it might be Bobbies ya pretend auntie...

GO here for all your exhaust needs... best phone him up. used him a couple of times top bloke good service... :thumbup:

Be helpfull to measure lenght diameter ect before calling as he will ask...

http://www.pjengineering.co.uk/index.php
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
What have I done!

AMCQ46 wrote: โ†‘Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:44 am unlike other carbon cans, the Remus ones are double skinned... that is there is a metal sleeve under the carbon outer, and that is why they can survive the pulses of a V2 engine without the carbon failing.

that is good news and bad news.
good because the structure of the can is still conserved even if the carbon is being removed
bad because the carbon sleeves you can get from various supplier might not fit on top of the metal inner. .. but I havnt tried so I cant say one way or the other.

what I will say is that wne I tried to repack mine, I couldn't work out how they came apart!. I drilled out all the rivets at the bottom end of the can and used as much force as I dared, but there was no movement, so perhaps the bottom band is just for show or to hold the carbon sleeve on, and the top band is where the joint is......... but I decided they didn't need a repack that badly and gave up! just put new rivits back in and refitted.

so when you do get them apart I will be interested to understand the construction and see where the joints are so I can do my repacking :D
I will certainly let you know, but one has got a hole clearly burnt through so not sure how it can have an internal sleeve so to speak ๐Ÿ˜”
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

interesting, so it sounds like mine are different to yours!

try PJ engineering for sleves
AMcQ
What have I done!

MacV2 wrote: โ†‘Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:49 am Be better off re sleeving them. Patching ain't a good idea on Carbon...

Drill all the rivets out bin the old sleeve & the wadding if there is any left...

Re pack the new sleeves, re rivet the end caps... buy gas tight rivets ! Re fit the cans to bike & Bob's ya uncle...unless hes a TV then it might be Bobbies ya pretend auntie...

GO here for all your exhaust needs... best phone him up. used him a couple of times top bloke good service... :thumbup:

Be helpfull to measure lenght diameter ect before calling as he will ask...

http://www.pjengineering.co.uk/index.php
Thank you Mr Mac will make the call ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘
What have I done!

AMCQ46 wrote: โ†‘Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:33 am interesting, so it sounds like mine are different to yours!

try PJ engineering for sleves
Yeh will get what I need and let you know
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

AMCQ46 wrote: โ†‘Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:33 am interesting, so it sounds like mine are different
Maybe the ones in question have been messed with, because you're right Al the Remus Grand Prix Carbon have a inner sleeve, as you rightly state, because of the pulses V twins will destroy a carbon sleeve.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
What have I done!

cheekykev wrote: โ†‘Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:22 pm
AMCQ46 wrote: โ†‘Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:33 am interesting, so it sounds like mine are different
Maybe the ones in question have been messed with, because you're right Al the Remus Grand Prix Carbon have a inner sleeve, as you rightly state, because of the pulses V twins will destroy a carbon sleeve.
Just gets better this then ๐Ÿ˜” so if I have a hole burnt through that I can stick my finger in, albeit I can't see past the mesh so not broken totally into the chamber, we think they are either fake or messed with???
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

i seen those cans on the op storm weekend here and they looked in real good nick (while fitted to the bike)... iv since heard they had what you have just described 8O .... as a few have said get onto PJ and see if they have sleeves.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
What have I done!

fabiostar wrote: โ†‘Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:41 pm i seen those cans on the op storm weekend here and they looked in real good nick (while fitted to the bike)... iv since heard they had what you have just described 8O .... as a few have said get onto PJ and see if they have sleeves.
It's one of those thing Rob just want to get them sorted and get them on ๐Ÿ˜Ž