Low oil pressure?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Beardyblob

Re: Low oil pressure?

Post by Beardyblob »

tony.mon wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:27 pm That's unfortunate, should have posted up, I have many spare clutches...
I did actualy try to post in the wanted section but I was denied. I presume that's because I haven't been registered very long. :(
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

50 posts minimum before you can personal message (pm) or post in the sales or wants sections.
Best make some trivial comments.....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Beardyblob

Post by Beardyblob »

tony.mon wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:57 pm 50 posts minimum before you can personal message (pm) or post in the sales or wants sections.
Best make some trivial comments.....
A bit like this one. :D
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Or have a read of the forum rules:- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19054

Rule (11) as below was put there for members best interests at heart. We wouldn't needed to introduced this if everybody was genuine :!:
I will say though, we are very fortunate in that nearly all members on here so far are been genuine and trust worthy people, it's just the one or two or so who have spoiled it for the rest.

11. Due to abuse of the Sales and Wants section by some previous new members, it is now mandatory that you have 50 posts before you are allowed to post in that section of the forum. Anybody trying to get around this by posting sales in the wrong place will have their posts deleted, try it a second time and their account will be deleted automatically. No questions asked. Also, posting trivial posts just to reach the 50 will also result in your account being deleted.

Chris.
Roger Ditchfield

Post by Roger Ditchfield »

Before you buy a new engine please ensure that you are using an OEM filter oil filter and not an aftermarket diaphragm type. In some cases this type of oil filter causes back pressure which makes the oil pressure release valve dump oil back into the sump causing a drop in oil pressure in the rest of the engine. Also check that there is nothing causing the oil pressure release valve to fully close. If all this is OK and the pressure switch and oil pump are also OK. This is very strange and I have never known this to occur on an engine 20k old that is running perfectly and no unusual noises.
Beardyblob

Post by Beardyblob »

Roger Ditchfield wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:25 pm Before you buy a new engine please ensure that you are using an OEM filter oil filter and not an aftermarket diaphragm type. In some cases this type of oil filter causes back pressure which makes the oil pressure release valve dump oil back into the sump causing a drop in oil pressure in the rest of the engine. Also check that there is nothing causing the oil pressure release valve to fully close. If all this is OK and the pressure switch and oil pump are also OK. This is very strange and I have never known this to occur on an engine 20k old that is running perfectly and no unusual noises.
Yes it does seem strange, in fact when I took the sump off I was surprised at how clean everything was, there was a very small amount of 'gunk' in the bottm cotners of the sump but definately no nasty bits of metal. The filter I am using is a HIFLOFILTRO, I have used this make of filter on both of my bikes for years and haven't had any problems but I will change it just in case.

Thanks for your help. :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Those Hiflowfilters are are an aftermarket copy of the original. HiFlo is their brand name. The name is a bit misleading becuase they are not actually hi flowing unlike the K&N oil filters.
==============================Enter the Darkside
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

VTRDark wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:45 am not actually hi flowing unlike the K&N oil filters.
Yes they are known to be very high flowing,,, high flowing oil all over the tires, your feet and ground when they catastrophically fail in use.
The sheet metal "nut" spot welded to the canister used to install the filter has been a cause of many leaking K&N oil filers.. Use at your own risk.
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I'm not a believer in higher flowing filters. For oil to flow faster would mean less restrictions therefore taking away some of the filteration. That kinda defeats the object of having an oil filter and it's there for a good reason.
==============================Enter the Darkside
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

HiFlo is just the name. Someone on the ADV forum did a good test and review of a number of different oil filters. Including cutting them open and inspecting the build and materials. HiFlo came out top. Since I read that I've never used any other type and I've never had any problems.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

But, as Roger says, using the OEM filter must be the safest way. It's just that the OEM filters are not always readily available.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Beardyblob

Post by Beardyblob »

Thanks for the info guys. Hopefully my replacement clutch nuts will come today so I'll be able to get it back together and try out some of your ideas. :thumbup:
Beardyblob

Post by Beardyblob »

Well I now know what the problem is. :oops:

I got the bike back together and tested the oil pressure, it was spot on so I took the bike out for a spin to try and see what was going on. Sure enough after about five miles the oil pressure light started coming on when pootling around but went off when accelerating or at higher speeds, new engine?

My last hope was to check for a short circuit as sugested by E.Marquez earlier in the thred, due to the nature of the problem I didn't hold out much hope. I disconnected the wire from the oil pressure sensor and turned on the ignition, there was no light as you would expect so I left it disconnected and made my way home. Pootling through town on the way to my house the oil pressure light started coming on in exactly the same way as before, on at low revs/speed and off when accelerating, proving that it's some kind of wierd short....

The moral of this tale is to do everything methodically and don't jump to conclusions. If I'd got myself an oil pressure meter in the first place I could have saved myself a lot of grief and my bike wouldn't have been off the road for twoo weeks.

Thanks to everyone for your help, all I have to do is find the wiring fault now....... :thumbup:
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Good luck with finding the short.Its one of the things I have never had to do (thank God ).Keep us posted on what you find.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

glad you found it. saved a lot of money in the end.

great suggestion from E.Marquez :thumbup:
AMcQ