Low oil pressure?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Beardyblob

Low oil pressure?

Post by Beardyblob »

Hi guys, I'm a newbie so if I've posted this in the wrong place soz.

I was wondering if anyone has had experience of the oil pressure light coming on when pootling around in town?
I first noticed this a couple of weeks ago after a 200 mile run when I was back in town heading home. Since then it has got increasingli worse so that now after I've only done a few miles and I'm going slow through vilages etc the oil pressure light comes on, it's OK when I'm accelerating or at higher speeds.

I've changed the oil and filter and I will change the oil pressure switch (on order should arive Wednesday). The bike's only done 20k miles so I'm hoping that the oil pump is OK.

Any advice would be welcome. :thumbup:
E.Marquez

Re: Low oil pressure?

Post by E.Marquez »

Looking around your motor...are they any visible signs that RTV has been used in the past to seal a cover? (Thinking blocked oil strainer on the pump)

Have you measured oil pressure yet? at the gauge sensor port its supposed to be 85psi @5k RPM fully warmed up.
Replacing the sensor is not a bad move, but Id be wanting to confirm oil pressure anyway, just for piece of mind. Pressure port is really easy to get to so checking is simple as well.
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

+1 on the oil strainer or faulty oil pump?
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Beardyblob

Post by Beardyblob »

E.Marquez wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:50 pm Looking around your motor...are they any visible signs that RTV has been used in the past to seal a cover? (Thinking blocked oil strainer on the pump)

Have you measured oil pressure yet? at the gauge sensor port its supposed to be 85psi @5k RPM fully warmed up.
Replacing the sensor is not a bad move, but Id be wanting to confirm oil pressure anyway, just for piece of mind. Pressure port is really easy to get to so checking is simple as well.
Thanks for the reply.
I haven't checked the pressure yet as I don't have a pressure gauge but if I change the sensor and the light is still coming on then I will get a pressure gauge. The oil strainer was the next thing I was going to check but I have a feeling that there is a problem with the oil pump. I was clutching at straws a bit and I thought one of you guys might know of some simple oil light/pressure problem that is easily fixed (it's rarely the easy fix for me).
Thanks for your help and I'll let you know how I get on.. :thumbup:
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Welcome to the forum anyway. :wave: :thumbup:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Beardyblob

Post by Beardyblob »

alanfjones1411 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:07 pm Welcome to the forum anyway. :wave: :thumbup:
Thanks. :thumbup: :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The oil pump is a fairly easy part to replace.
Off with the bellypan and exhaust system, then drain the oil and remove the sump.
Now you drain the coolant and remove the waterpump, then the clutch cover.
Then pull the clutch apart, undo the very tight clutch centre nut and remove the clutch.

Now you can unbolt the oil pump, swap it, and reassemble.
The problem comes if the oil light is still coming on, because then you need to remove the engine, split the crankcases and trace the main bearing shells and big end shells.

Alternatively, just swap the engine for a good one.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Beardyblob

Post by Beardyblob »

tony.mon wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:56 pm The oil pump is a fairly easy part to replace.
Off with the bellypan and exhaust system, then drain the oil and remove the sump.
Now you drain the coolant and remove the waterpump, then the clutch cover.
Then pull the clutch apart, undo the very tight clutch centre nut and remove the clutch.

Now you can unbolt the oil pump, swap it, and reassemble.
The problem comes if the oil light is still coming on, because then you need to remove the engine, split the crankcases and trace the main bearing shells and big end shells.

Alternatively, just swap the engine for a good one.
I'm hoping it doesn't come to that. The engine is running well with no knocks or rattles so I'm hoping the worst case is the oil pump. I'll keep everything crossed. :?
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Beardyblob wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:27 pm
I'm hoping it doesn't come to that. The engine is running well with no knocks or rattles so I'm hoping the worst case is the oil pump. I'll keep everything crossed. :?
Anything mechanical can fail, so pump failure is a possibility... But short of a complete engine failure that sent trash though the pump I don't remember every reading about a VTR oil pump wear failure.

Even if new pressure with "fixes" the light issue still a really good idea to measure oil pressure.
It requires just the basic of work, a shop should be able to do it for bare min shop charge or spend about the same and get a gauge, then you get to keep a shiny new tool...win win
Post event services

Total Rider
Beardyblob

Post by Beardyblob »

[quote=E.Marquez post_id=464389 time=1531928564 user_id=11259]
[quote=Beardyblob post_id=464371 time=1531855676 user_id=14859]

A new pressure switch has made no diference so I'm taking your advice and I have a pressure meter on order. I should have got one in the first place. :(
Beardyblob

Post by Beardyblob »

Bit of an update and it aint good. :(

Being the impatient fiddler that I am I couldn't wait for the pressure tester to come so decided to drop the sump and have a look at the oil strainer. It was fine, in fact it was absolutely spotless and all the seals looked good as well. I then thought I might as well have a look at the oil pump seeing as i'd started dismantling and that was fine also, everything was well within tollerance and the pressure release valves were also good.I'll put everything back together and when my new oil pressure meter comes I'll see what the pressure is actually doing.

Looks like it's probably going to need a new engine.. :( :x :( :x I dom't suppose anyone has any ideas before I buy a replacement?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Ok, try thicker oil.
If you end up needing a replacement lump anyway it won't cost you anything, and if the pressure is only a fraction under the sensor acceptable level it should be enough to stop it coming on.
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Beardyblob wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:39 am
A new pressure switch has made no diference so I'm taking your advice and I have a pressure meter on order. I should have got one in the first place. :(
The oil pressure idiot light..when pressure is below trigger range, the switch closes and the circuit is grounded. That means a wire in that circuit that has had the insulation rubbed though and the wire is grounding triggers the light.
Or a pinched wire, or a short on the instrument cluster board.

simple check.... turn on ignition dont start motor, light comes on yes? It should, there is no oil pressure.... now disconnect the connector at the switch, light should go out.. Does it? if so, then the wiring is not grounded out up stream from the switch...

No matter what you find/ think you find....dont blow off the pressure check.
Last edited by E.Marquez on Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post event services

Total Rider
Beardyblob

Post by Beardyblob »

E.Marquez wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:55 pm
Beardyblob wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:39 am
E.Marquez wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:42 pm

The oil pressure idiot light..when pressure is below trigger range, the switch closes and the circuit is grounded. That means a wire in that circuit that has had the insulation rubbed though and the wire is grounding triggers the light.
Or a pinched wire, or a short on the instrument cluster board.

simple check.... turn on ignition dont start motor, light comes on yes? It should, there is no oil pressure.... now disconnect the connector at the switch, light should go out.. Does it? if so, then the wiring is not grounded out up stream from the switch...

No matter what you find/ think you find....dont blow off the pressure check.
Thanks for the reply,
I will try that once I get the bike back together which will be a few more days unfortunately. I managed to snap one of the heads off a spring bolt on the clutch plate, the torque setting was correct and it seemed to snap very easily. I have some replacements on order and they should be here Tuesday so I'll check the circuit then.
Thank you very much for your help. :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

That's unfortunate, should have posted up, I have many spare clutches...