Playing with the Quickshifter

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
mik_str

Playing with the Quickshifter

Post by mik_str »

With the break-in of my recently rebuilt engine now well on its way to completion, I have turned my attention to playing with the newly installed Quickshifter Easy by Healtech. Those of you familiar with the unit (those who are not can look it up) know that it can mounted either on the shift linkage rod or on the bolt holding the shifter arm in place. As I had mine installed as part of my submitted "to do list" for the rebuild, I chatted with the tech about it and he was of the opinion that the best place was on the shift rod and so there it went.

I downloaded the smartphone app (for iPhone in my case) and off I went to program it. One I figured out how to get the app to communicate with the unit via Bluetooth (tech gadgets are not my forte), I programmed in some settings I had worked out based on settings used by owners of other bikes. I finally tested it today and it works as advertised. I did some fine-tuning to get it to shift more smoothly and am comfortable with the way I have it now; it is smooth and works every time. It does produce a slight backfire on occasion, though this is to be expected as it cuts the ignition (and not the fuel as it does on FI bikes).

I don't plan on using it all the time, but it's there when I want to use it. Was it necessary? No, but then my bike is almost the poster child of unnecessary mods/stuff, lol

also, back to the rebuild briefly, the engine is getting smoother and snappier all the time. Me happy :)

cheers
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
VTRDark

Re: Playing with the Quickshifter

Post by VTRDark »

but then my bike is almost the poster child of unnecessary mods/stuff, lol
Your bike has so many mods it's earned grandfather rights :lol: There surly can't be much else you can do to your bike now.

Good to hear that was all straight forward enough. :thumbup:
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Cheers for the update on the Quickshifter Micky :D
It sounds as if the installation went very well as you had expected, no nasty surprises. Well done :clap:

Were you nervous on the first road test :?:

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

nice one mikey. interested to hear about the quickshifter.. its something i fancy for mine...

but.

iv just taken my standard shift rod/linkage off the bike and im now running a CR125 gear lever so running race shift. can a quickshifter still be used as all i have now is a gear lever poking outa the engine :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

sirch345 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:00 pm Cheers for the update on the Quickshifter Micky :D
It sounds as if the installation went very well as you had expected, no nasty surprises. Well done :clap:

Chris.
Yes I was, but I started testing it at low(er) engine speeds and backed the throttle off at first, just in case...
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

fabiostar wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:32 pm nice one mikey. interested to hear about the quickshifter.. its something i fancy for mine...

but.

iv just taken my standard shift rod/linkage off the bike and im now running a CR125 gear lever so running race shift. can a quickshifter still be used as all i have now is a gear lever poking outa the engine :clap:
You can use the same unit as I have as the sensor can also be mounted on the shift lever stay bolt. Many install it this way and report good results.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Ah, they're fun alright.
I quite often ride mine 10 miles or so then remember to use the QS, and it's game on from then.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mik_str wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:22 pm
sirch345 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:00 pm Cheers for the update on the Quickshifter Micky :D

Chris.
Yes I was, but I started testing it at low(er) engine speeds and backed the throttle off at first, just in case...
Ah yeah that was a good idea. It must go against all natural instincts to change gear without shutting the throttle off for a start, let alone not touching the clutch lever,

Chris.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

sirch345 wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:17 pm

Chris.
Ah yeah that was a good idea. It must go against all natural instincts to change gear without shutting the throttle off for a start, let alone not touching the clutch lever,

Chris.
yep; I won't be using it all the time, but it's there when I want it. So far, I have found it to be hard for the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts, but after that it's smooth as silk. I may try more tuning at some point (so easy to do with smart phone app) to see if I can it smoother in the lower gears...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mik_str wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:23 pm
sirch345 wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:17 pm

Chris.
yep; I won't be using it all the time, but it's there when I want it. So far, I have found it to be hard for the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts, but after that it's smooth as silk. I may try more tuning at some point (so easy to do with smart phone app) to see if I can it smoother in the lower gears...
I'm sure you'll get there with a bit more time, and a bit more adjusting to using it :)

Chris.
uk13iker

Post by uk13iker »

It does say somewhere in the instructions if 1-2 isn’t smooth use clutch but 2-3 I’ve not had any issues. Apparently you can gear down 6-5 5-4 I’ve geared down by accident knocking the shift lever and it did work but never tried to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk