Lightened Flywheel

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Wicky

Re: Lightened Flywheel

Post by Wicky »

With certain MotoX bikes the trend was to add weight to the flywheel...

http://dirthogz.proboards.com/thread/8/ ... el-weights

After reading the above, how does a Storm with lightened flywheel lay down its power on fast sweepers in comparison to stock?

Slightly off topic

Thankfully v-twin is relatively balanced compared to singles - this thumper without a counter balancer suffered the consequences due to vibes, taking some nifty engineering to solve

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

VTRDark wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:08 pm Are you saying that you have gone lighter than the mori spec in the mori engine then :confused I too question why did mori stop at where they did. I'd love to know the reason why and there must be one. Is it down to ridability or is there some other reason. Maybe that is at the point where going any furthur does not equate to beneficial gains accept the seat of the pnats.
i have carl yes... im sure,back in the day riders used various weights depending on track/conditions.. i just like the instant hit the lightweight version gives to a bike..best way i can describe it is, honda built these bikes as a sports tourer. removing weight from the flywheel just removes the tour out of sports tourer ?

when iv hoped back onto a storm with a standard flywheel, they feel dead and lifeless ,strange feeling as its still a 1000cc engine but thats how much difference i think it makes.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Fabio: I think I wouldn´t like it in corner entrance, as loose of momentum is too harsh and quick and setting of entrance speed more difficult. But is is only my guess, haven´t tried that.

Corner exit as well, as from 5k I have to be careful with throttle at lean.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Stephan wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:50 am Fabio: I think I wouldn´t like it in corner entrance, as loose of momentum is too harsh and quick and setting of entrance speed more difficult.
I have been using a Krankvent crankcase pressure reduction valve for some time now and its effect on reducing compression braking is quite remarkable. I only mention this as it would help to reduce the (less desirrable?) tendency toward more pronounced compression braking produced by a lighter flywheel.
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I dont want to be simplistic but what effect does a lightened flywheel have?

Thanks
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

brian its kinda hard to explain lol... its kinda like the same effect as lowering your gearing few teeth except it doent rev its head of, its still doing the same revs at the same speeds as a standard bike unlike lower gearing that makes it buzzy at motorway speeds.

say you and ur mate are sitting side by side in 3rd gear at 60mph. you both open the throttle, well the lighter flywheel bike will kill the other one. it just picks up revs faster...

on the flip side as some have said. if you both shut the throttle at the same time using only engine braking the lightweight flywheel bike will slow down faster as it no longer has a huge dustbin of metal keeping the engine turning forward.

revs go up and fall down faster than standard.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

it also makes them very wheelie prone in the lower gears.. its just a more aggressive engine throughout the rev range.

not for everybody as it does change the big mellow grunty engine into something else. :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Faster acceleration and faster deceleration. A flywheel is a weight that creates inertia a mechanical momentum if you like. If you think about a heavy lorry or train with it's weight builds up speed slowly but once moving it takes very little to keep it moving and when it comes to stopping it takes longer. A lighter flywheel allows you to pick up speed quicker but it also decelerates quicker with more engine braking as there is less momentum keeping things spinning. What it basically does is take some of the mechanical control or automation away and into the hands of the rider so lots more throttle control is required. You will find it takes less to get going but also have to keep the throttle open longer when it comes to stopping. It has it's pro's and con's and is not for everyone.
==============================Enter the Darkside
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

VTRDark wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:48 pm Faster acceleration and faster deceleration. A flywheel is a weight that creates inertia a mechanical momentum if you like. If you think about a heavy lorry or train with it's weight builds up speed slowly but once moving it takes very little to keep it moving and when it comes to stopping it takes longer. A lighter flywheel allows you to pick up speed quicker but it also decelerates quicker with more engine braking as there is less momentum keeping things spinning. What it basically does is take some of the mechanical control or automation away and into the hands of the rider so lots more throttle control is required. You will find it takes less to get going but also have to keep the throttle open longer when it comes to stopping. It has it's pro's and con's and is not for everyone.

that pretty much sums it well :thumbup:

and for extra fun, stick a 1/6 turn throttle onto it :clap: just for badness lol
jasonbrownett

Post by jasonbrownett »

Got lightened on mine it's between 4 and 5 and Def makes and improvement the firestorm flywheel is huge and was used to tame the bike as it was and is a bit of a beast

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

jasonbrownett

Post by jasonbrownett »

The guy who done my flywheel says it's one of the biggest he's seen on any bike, in my opinion it's improved my bike massively, it Def gets a move on quicker and I can still nail it out of bends, just seems to rev a bit like a four cylinder alot quicker. After suspension it's the best upgrade I've done for sure

jasonbrownett

Post by jasonbrownett »

Spot on Image
VTRDark wrote:Faster acceleration and faster deceleration. A flywheel is a weight that creates inertia a mechanical momentum if you like. If you think about a heavy lorry or train with it's weight builds up speed slowly but once moving it takes very little to keep it moving and when it comes to stopping it takes longer. A lighter flywheel allows you to pick up speed quicker but it also decelerates quicker with more engine braking as there is less momentum keeping things spinning. What it basically does is take some of the mechanical control or automation away and into the hands of the rider so lots more throttle control is required. You will find it takes less to get going but also have to keep the throttle open longer when it comes to stopping. It has it's pro's and con's and is not for everyone.

mik_str

Post by mik_str »

fabiostar wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:25 pm
VTRDark wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:48 pm Faster acceleration and faster deceleration. A flywheel is a weight that creates inertia a mechanical momentum if you like. If you think about a heavy lorry or train with it's weight builds up speed slowly but once moving it takes very little to keep it moving and when it comes to stopping it takes longer. A lighter flywheel allows you to pick up speed quicker but it also decelerates quicker with more engine braking as there is less momentum keeping things spinning. What it basically does is take some of the mechanical control or automation away and into the hands of the rider so lots more throttle control is required. You will find it takes less to get going but also have to keep the throttle open longer when it comes to stopping. It has it's pro's and con's and is not for everyone.

that pretty much sums it well :thumbup:

and for extra fun, stick a 1/6 turn throttle onto it :clap: just for badness lol
and if you REALLY want to make it fun, stick aluminum clutch plates and carbon wheels (and a few other lightweight bits) into the mix... :thumbup:
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

jasonbrownett wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:35 pm The guy who done my flywheel says it's one of the biggest he's seen on any bike, in my opinion it's improved my bike massively, it Def gets a move on quicker and I can still nail it out of bends, just seems to rev a bit like a four cylinder alot quicker. After suspension it's the best upgrade I've done for sure Image

and yours i think is the second lightest iv done so far..well you did say go mad with it lol :clap: :clap:
jasonbrownett

Post by jasonbrownett »

Is that rob using a undercover name????
fabiostar wrote:
jasonbrownett wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:35 pm The guy who done my flywheel says it's one of the biggest he's seen on any bike, in my opinion it's improved my bike massively, it Def gets a move on quicker and I can still nail it out of bends, just seems to rev a bit like a four cylinder alot quicker. After suspension it's the best upgrade I've done for sure Image

and yours i think is the second lightest iv done so far..well you did say go mad with it lol :clap: :clap: