Recomission stored VTR

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
rmh

Recomission stored VTR

Post by rmh »

OK so confession the VTR has been parked up for over 3 years - SORN and lonely in the garage.
Other bikes taken over but can't look at selling her....bought new in 1999 and have a hard time selling bikes :D

The latest model is a BMX s1000xr and being an IL4 I am now missing the V2 rumble and thunder. :eek2 :eek2

The good news is that its been on a battery conditioner and it starts and after a bit of fettle on the choke to warm up ....it runs pretty good despite the fuel being probably 4 years old.....first step new fuel - easy as its running low anyway ... light on..

So the question here is what needs to be done to get it safe and legal - obviously tax / mot as its already insured - but a local bike shop is quoting SILLY money to do this and service and check over ....

As it is very low miles - I would say service / brake fluid ( which I don't think has EVER been changed ) and MOT / tax but is there anything else ??

So is there anyone in the Swindon area that can recommend some help to breathe some life back into the old girl and make her safe and legal and ready for the open road - I have some money to set aside for this and want it right and safe (I am a mechanical FAILURE so can not DIY )- and therefore need some help.

Thanks
Rob
Rob Hunter

VTR1000 '99 / BMW S1000XR - 2016
Wicky

Re: Recomission stored VTR

Post by Wicky »

Tyres could do with checking to see how old they are. Did you upgrade CCTs to manuals and R/R before parking it up?

Presumably it's been stored in a warm & dry in a garage and not outside?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
rmh

Post by rmh »

It has always been in a warm dry brick garage on a battery conditioner so pretty good overall - other than dust / dirt which is now washed off....she looks almost like new.

It has manual CCT`s fitted so that`s all good but the RR is original :wtf: but never caused me an issue (yet)

She had new tyres after first ever trackday (novice) left them so bad they failed the mot !!!!
It was grippy tarmac at Donnington ... so tyres are pretty new - but worth a visual check

She performed admirably and embarrassed a few sportier models....

She has a few minor mods -
Scorpion carbon exhausts (baffles are for wimps and MoT`s)
Black Seat Cowl
Black Belly pan - full length
Manuall CCT`s
Rob Hunter

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Sounds like a sales pitch :lol: Check you pad wear, change break fluid, oil and filter and you should be good to go. :thumbup:
==============================Enter the Darkside
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Go through all the service items - air filter, fluids, pads etc. So its good to go for the summer

VTR1000F (Superhawk) Firestorm Service Manual PDF > viewtopic.php?f=31&t=18025
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

Given you've already fired the bike into life and she runs, anything more will be preventative maintenance. I would suggest changing all the fluids (brake, clutch, coolant, engine oil) and also taking a look at the tyre sidewalls for any cracking, but otherwise you should be good to go. The only other spot to check would be the float bowls and jets in case there has been any fuel evaporation and deposits happening.

I got a 1990 ST1100 back on the road after 10 years of barn storage, and the tyres were actually OK to use, my issues were more with corrosion of electrical connectors and a half-empty cooling system, a rusty tank/clogged pump/clogged carb jets.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
rmh

Post by rmh »

Thanks for all the replies / feedback - just need to find someone local who can help
Rob Hunter

mdb

Post by mdb »

If you want to be thorough you could also consider changing the fork oil.