Burred main jet slot

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
mdb

Burred main jet slot

Post by mdb »

Hello again,
stripped my carbs for cleaning and found that they are fitted with DynoJet needles. 4th slot from the top.
Both carbs have a 190 main jet. I am assuming these are DynoJet jets. I tried to remove the rear jet to examine it but it is stuck fast and I have burred the slot.

The bike has aftermarket standard type air filter and standard silencers.

I have several questions:
1) Is the burring irrelevant or should I file it smooth or should I replace the jet.
2) I am also assuming that this setup is too rich. Both plugs were black. Therfore should I replace both jets with smaller sizes or lower the needle with the current jets to lean the mixture or fit a free flowing air filter.
Possibly a conbination of all these.

Any advice or opinions are welcome but please bear in mind that I am trying to spend as little money as possible. :thumbup:

Thanks in advance.
Mark
Attachments
190 main jet. Burred slot
190 main jet. Burred slot
Another angle.
Another angle.
fabiostar

Re: Burred main jet slot

Post by fabiostar »

a standard bike with standard filter and pipes?.. throw them in the bin and run honda needles and mains..thats some big ass jets for a standard bike.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

They are a tad on the large side for mains. A 180 / 185 would more than likely be better or even two 180s or 185's for dynojets. How was the bike running before. I wouldn't worry too much about the burr in the slot it's the hole in the middle that's more important. Lets hope you havent got any slivers of metal stuck in the carb anywhere. I would try leaning off the needles to compensate and see how things run. Move your clips 1 slot torwards the blunt end, but be aware this will also have an affect on your pilot so you may have to fine tune things down there. Start with the clip position and see how things run first. Don't loose your diaphram springs and make sure you don't pinch the diaphram when putting back together. A little grease around the edge helps to keep things in place. Also how many lift holes have you got in the slides.
==============================Enter the Darkside
mdb

Post by mdb »

I have never ridden the bike. Only saw/heard it running. It started willingly enough (not surprisingly if it was so rich) but there was a noticeable ticking/clicking noise and fearing the CCTs might be on the way out so I have not yet ridden it.

No slivers of metal in carbs as I burred the jet trying to separate it from its tube after removal from the carb. These I plan to sonically clean. No new lift holes have been drilled (which I believe is a good thing). As earlier stated the plugs were black. I assume that at one time the bike had a hi-flow filter and free flowing pipes fitted which have since been removed. It has had 9 previous owners :? .

The front carb had quite a few of spongy bits in it as those little filters in the airbox had disintegrated. I have bought a square of filter material to cut new ones.

I have contacted Dynojet to price up a couple of smaller jets. If they are not too much money then I will fit them and keep the large ones for use if upgrade things in the future. Otherwise I will try leaning the needles as suggested.

At this point I am not interested in maximising power but getting it to run smoothly with a clean pickup.
Does it run well with a Stage 1 Dynojet fitted with all standard parts?

I am wiring in a CBR600RR regulator next. This standard one is tiny (had an unfinned Chinese thing fitted) I was shocked.

Thanks guys. I will keep spannering.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I hate the term stage 1 with jet kits. The only benefit of any aftermarket jet kit the adjustabity it gives you with the needles. Don't expect any huge performance gains and it's very rarely a case of just sticking a kit in and having it run better. It will take some playing around to get what you want. Stick with the standard filter and slip-on pipes wont make a huge differance but a full system would have a differance on how things will need tunned. Ge those CCT's sorted.
==============================Enter the Darkside
mdb

Post by mdb »

I only used the term stage 1 to imply using standard filter and pipes.

I have done the CCTs, replaced one shim. Engine is back together.
Just the carbs and regulator to do and I can screw it all back together.

I emailed Dynojet and they recommend their 170 mains. I think I will order a 170, 180 and 185. That should give me some options to try; starting with 170 front anf 175 rear.

I hope to be up and running next week. :D
mdb

Post by mdb »

fabiostar wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:53 pm a standard bike with standard filter and pipes?.. throw them in the bin and run honda needles and mains..thats some big ass jets for a standard bike.
Hi Fabiostar,
I stuck with the Dynojet needles and have fitted 170 dynojets. It seems to be running well but I haven't yet run it in anger due to chainj/sprocket wear. I wil hopefully receive new ones this weekend.......so here's hoping.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

happy days.....

now hush im still staring at the profile pic of the big Lav you have... that must be one of the very late 120s? sfc or something they were called?
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

fabiostar wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 8:50 am
now hush im still staring at the profile pic of the big Lav you have... that must be one of the very late 120s? sfc or something they were called?
I was thinking the same :lol: but I was thinking RGS

Any more photos of it? :thumbup:
AMcQ
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

AMCQ46 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:36 am
fabiostar wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 8:50 am
I was thinking the same :lol: but I was thinking RGS

Any more photos of it? :thumbup:
yeah al thats the letters i was trying to rem.. great big hairy arsed bikes :thumbup:
mdb

Post by mdb »

Tt's running great with 170 Dynojets. :)
mdb

Post by mdb »

fabiostar wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 8:50 am happy days.....

Top marks go to Fabiostar. It is a late 120 SFC. I also owned an RGS at the same time. Great bikes. Yes, somewhat hairy arsed, though nowhere near as hairy ( in all senses) as the 180s). I had to sell them when a house project I am working on ate them a couple of years ago. A guy travelled from Germany to buy the SFC.

It was pure, arm hair raising, pleasure when the cam came on song on those big triples.

Not being able to live without a bike I bought a R1100S with some of the money. Quite liked it but found I was waiting for the clutch shaft to destroy itself so sold it and bought a TDM900. That was too boring so I bought a VFR800Fi. That was OK ish but my wife loves it so she rides it. Which led me to buy a cheap, but tired VTR1000 in an attempt to rekindle some of that loving feeling.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

i always wanted a big Lav but ended up with a guzzi lemans which i loved a lot..

the storm will fill the gap for you once its sorted, plus you get to hang around in here :clap: :clap: