Frame Headstock bearing seats damaged?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Duffy1964

Re: Frame Headstock bearing seats damaged?

Post by Duffy1964 »

AMCQ46 wrote:
tony.mon wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:46 pm
Duffy1964 wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:15 pm Sounds like you have cracked it Al well done fella Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, it sounds like he HASN'T cracked it!
my thought exactly :lol:
ImageImageImage Well done Mr Mon Image

Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

longer test ride today and the clunk is starting to return :( ... not as obvious on heavy braking but medium braking when rolling over poor surfaces you can really feel it

the castle nuts haven't moved, as I marked their position, so I will tighten a bit more and test again, I will also do the front wheel bearings just in case
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AMCQ46 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:53 pm longer test ride today and the clunk is starting to return :( ... not as obvious on heavy braking but medium braking when rolling over poor surfaces you can really feel it

the castle nuts haven't moved, as I marked their position, so I will tighten a bit more and test again, I will also do the front wheel bearings just in case
Oh no not again.

Probably worth trying a new set of wheel bearings I agree, do keep us posted.

Fingers crossed that does the trick,

Chris.
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Hope you get it sorted soon Al

Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

It’s not that sizeable, loaded wallet moving about when you brake is it Al? Try sending all your cash to me and then go for a test ride and see if it improves! I’ll send it back after, honest!
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Kev L wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:22 pm It’s not that sizeable, loaded wallet moving about when you brake is it Al? Try sending all your cash to me and then go for a test ride and see if it improves! I’ll send it back after, honest!
good thinking .. a large wad is in the post as we speak :D
AMcQ
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

I know you too well mate! You’re not allowed to send used toilet paper through the UK postal system and I shall be reporting you for your disgusting behaviour! Same old faeces! :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Is it your oversized knacker banging the tank under deceleration?
Try tightening your undercrackers.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
popkat

Post by popkat »

Here's one to try. On some Yamaha fazers and R1's the fork seal can move down a little, it's still retained by the clip but the washer above it is then loose and can make a clonking sound over bumps and when braking. the cure is easy, remove front mudguard and lower the fork dust seals, get a fork seal driver and tap the seal up, shouldn't take much pressure to do it. Probably not the issue here but if you have the tool it's easy to do.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

dear god that front end is fighting you all the way :eek2 :eek2
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

short update.

I have got the steering head bearings set now so there is no free play and it is nice and stable in a straight line :D

I still had the judder under med speed, med pressure braking, that I can feel through the forks, but now the bearing are tighter it is not causing the knocking, but is still very obvious. and effected any kind of trail braking.

so I did the trick with cleaning the bobbins by spinning them and flushing with brake cleaner ... no improvement

so I put a clock on the disks and one was approx. 0.005" and the other was 0.010" total runout, in theory inside the factory limit for a Storm, but still not too good.
SO
I splashed out on a set of Galfer discs and fitted them on the night before the trip up to Yorkshire.... and the good news is the judder is gone :D

so I think with stiffer forks and much stronger brakes, the judder from a bit of disk runout creates a very strong force, and this made the smallest clearance in the brgs clunk badly.

so Good news is we can close this thread and I don't need a new frame
AMcQ
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

AMCQ46 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:53 pm longer test ride today and the clunk is starting to return :( ... not as obvious on heavy braking but medium braking when rolling over poor surfaces you can really feel it
So you only feel / hear it under breaking?
Perhaps it is, the brakes?

Pulled my hair out diagnosing a "click/felt clunk" when applying the brakes.. Felt like head bearings ...wasn't.
Felt like loose calipers...wasn't.
But during caliper inspection I noticed tell tail signs of wear, movement, brake pads in the caliper... The Pads were moving...forward when brakes applied Hear click, feel clunk...off brakes and the slight drag all disk brakes have by design, gently move them rearward again...till next time on brakes.
Very slow engagement of breaks and barely noticeable click felt.
Hard on breaks and you could hear it in my bike next to him while riding. ..
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AMCQ46 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 5:49 pm short update.

I have got the steering head bearings set now so there is no free play and it is nice and stable in a straight line :D

I still had the judder under med speed, med pressure braking, that I can feel through the forks, but now the bearing are tighter it is not causing the knocking, but is still very obvious. and effected any kind of trail braking.

so I did the trick with cleaning the bobbins by spinning them and flushing with brake cleaner ... no improvement

so I put a clock on the disks and one was approx. 0.005" and the other was 0.010" total runout, in theory inside the factory limit for a Storm, but still not too good.
SO
I splashed out on a set of Galfer discs and fitted them on the night before the trip up to Yorkshire.... and the good news is the judder is gone :D

so I think with stiffer forks and much stronger brakes, the judder from a bit of disk runout creates a very strong force, and this made the smallest clearance in the brgs clunk badly.

so Good news is we can close this thread and I don't need a new frame
Thanks for the detailed update Al, good to hear all is now well................eventually :wink: :lol:

Rather ironic how IIRC you ended up replacing the front disc's when you did the front brake caliper upgrade on the OEM Storm forks,

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Good memory Chris, that was true.... In fact Cheekykev and I were talking about that as he hit the same problems this month when he fitted the CBR calipers
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AMCQ46 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 6:43 am Good memory Chris, that was true.... In fact Cheekykev and I were talking about that as he hit the same problems this month when he fitted the CBR calipers
Well I never, it makes you think what is causing that to happen.

I have only ever heard or read about yourself and now Kev having that issue,

Chris.