New chain & Sprockets

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
DazB

New chain & Sprockets

Post by DazB »

Hi ya

I'm preparing to change the chain and sprockets next weekend which i have ready to go.

I noticed when checking the manual that you have to take the clutch mater cylinder off and there is a gasket i need to replace, which i also now have. As this has a gasket is this fluid filed? Will i need to bleed the clutch again once back together?

I have done chains before on other bikes, but is there anything else useful to know on the VTR before i start?

thanks.

Daz
cheekykev

Re: New chain & Sprockets

Post by cheekykev »

You wont need a gasket if you take the whole cover off with the clutch cylinder attached.
Yes you will need to bleed the clutch line afterwards, l found reverse bleeding then bleed the normal way afterwards works.
Some say If you cable tie the clutch lever to the bar it stops the need to bleed, but I can't advise on that, I've always done it my way, and found it very successful, only taking 5 minutes and a bit of fluid
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Take the lever off...& or put a zip tie around the the slave cylinder to hold it in place. If you do this it may not need bleeding, however if it does follow Kevs advice & push it up from the bleed nipple on the slave cylinder. KEEP A VERY CLOSE EYE on the mastercylinder as it's tiny & easy to overflow or empty...

Take all the bolts around the edge of the cover, 6 IIRC but they are all different lenghs so devise a way off keeping the patern thay came out, bit of card with holes works. Do not put them on the floor & then kick them as you get up to do something...

When you take the cover off it may pull the clutch push rod out a bit, don't panic it will just push back in but take the oppertunity to pull it all the way out & clean it the bit that stick out can get a bit grobby & you dont want said grob to get pushed/pulled into your seals. Ensure you note which end goes in to the block as the end is hardened. (it's the end you havent just had to de-grob... :lol: )
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Also with the VTR you can rivet the the new chain's link off the bike at your leisure and by taking the left footpeg hanger off (secured by the swingarm spindle nut) you can take the old one off and the new one on. Just remember when reassembling to retorque back to spec.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
DazB

Post by DazB »

Thanks for the useful info chaps.

Kev, Im going to take it all apart i think. I have a gasket for the clutch cylinder so i might as well, though next time I'll do it in one.

Mac, thanks for the heads-up on the bolts, and the clutch push rod. I should be ok with the bleeding, Ive a vacuum bleed kit and a sh1t load of dot5.

I normally rivet the chain on the bike over the back sprocket, I might try off the bike to see if its easier. Ta Wicky. Im a bit worried as Ive only a cheaper rivet tool (lost my good one :( !) so doing it off bike would help. :thumbup:

Again thanks, top banana.
DazB

Post by DazB »

New chain and sprockets fitted.

On the upside the clutch didn't need bleeding, it was a sealed unit when taking the clutch slave cylinder off.

On the down side, Ive noticed the chain goes from tight to loose when spinning the wheel. I didn't expect this for a new chain? any ideas? I thinking maybe the Cush drive rubbers?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Loosen the sprocket nuts, rotate a few times and retighten.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
DazB

Post by DazB »

OK Ive done a bit of reading, and Ive checked the tight spots with the chain and sprockets:

First the chain, after a full turn of the chain, the tight spots didn't line up! Not the chain then.

Second, check the rear sprocket, again, the tight spot makes didnt match up! deep joy!

Last one, the front sprocket. Yes it lined up here! Every turn of the front sprocket you get a tight spot in the same place on the sprocket! This must mean my drive shaft is bent!?! :evil:

Please someone tell me my logic is incorrect and there is something Ive not thought about. :sad2
DazB

Post by DazB »

tony.mon wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:40 pm Loosen the sprocket nuts, rotate a few times and retighten.
Thanks, but i dont think its the rear sprocket. I check the tight spots on the sprocket and it was random.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Clutching at straws probably, but the tight spot on the chain is not the riveted link by any chance :?:

Chris.
DazB

Post by DazB »

sirch345 wrote:Clutching at straws probably, but the tight spot on the chain is not the riveted link by any chance :?:

Chris.
No, don’t think so, the tight spots are in different parts of the chain, as it turns out, one tight spot every one turn of the front sprocket! Looks like it’s a front sprocket problem or the shaft.

Given up for today. Going to do it all again tomorrow to check everything AGAIN! Poo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

What make and type of chain and sprockets have you fitted :?:

May be the bike just needs a good ride out to settle the chain down, but not if you think it's dangerous as it is of course.

My way of thinking is the problem my show itself up more on the front sprocket than the rear with the front being much more of a tighter radius,

Chris.
DazB

Post by DazB »

sirch345 wrote:What make and type of chain and sprockets have you fitted :?:

May be the bike just needs a good ride out to settle the chain down, but not if you think it's dangerous as it is of course.

My way of thinking is the problem my show itself up more on the front sprocket than the rear with the front being much more of a tighter radius,

Chris.
It was a kit with alpha x ring chain and Renthal rings. Can remember any more than that, the box is in the garage. Image

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

DazB wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:21 pm

Chris.
It was a kit with alpha x ring chain and Renthal rings. Can remember any more than that, the box is in the garage. Image

:lol: yeah, if it's anything like it is here you have it wet too.

Reasonable quality kit then. I was wondering if you had purchased a cheaper kit, meaning inferior quality,

Chris.
DazB

Post by DazB »

sirch345 wrote:
DazB wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:21 pm

Chris.

:lol: yeah, if it's anything like it is here you have it wet too.

Reasonable quality kit then. I was wondering if you had purchased a cheaper kit, meaning inferior quality,

Chris.
Not been too wet here is Somerset, though it’s started again. Can’t wait for some dry wether. And to get this chain sorted Image