Quick q about shock linkage servicing

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jchesshyre

Quick q about shock linkage servicing

Post by jchesshyre »

I had my shock linkage overhauled a year ago with new bearings and bushes etc. (started doing it myself but gave up as I couldn't work out how to undo one of the bolts, which the guy's now turned round so that the nut is more accessible).

To be conscientious I want to re-grease it all again soon. Is it possible to do this just with an Abba stand? I know that you obviously can't do the swingarm bearings with one of these as they fit into the swingarm pivot, and I know I should really be checking these bearings anyway and so should find another way of suspending the bike, but I'm so short of time at the moment I might only have time to do the linkage bearings until later in the year.

So am I right in thinking you can fully disassemble the shock linkage for re-greasing using just an Abba stand?
Wicky

Re: Quick q about shock linkage servicing

Post by Wicky »

If you use the engine mount instead of swing arm pivot - IIRC you need to raise the abba stand on wood / bricks. Other options are using a step ladder / or simply two string it up between two gateposts. Whatever gives you access and keeps the bike as secure from dropping over as possible.

Doing it yearly is very conscientious - what milage have you done since this it was last done?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

I've done 18,000 miles since then which is rather shocking! Especially as it was off the road from May to July after I binned it into a kerb and lamp post on a big roundabout.

My garage does have metal beams below the ceiling and I have some pretty hefty ratchet straps so maybe I should try this? I feel a bit nervous doing this in case I pull the shed down but perhaps I've nothing to worry about...

The other reason I want to check the linkage is that there is a bit of play in it that I can feel when I have the bike up on the Abba stand. I know that the guy last year said there was one collar he didn't replace for some reason (annoyingly I forget which one but it should be obvious when I dismantle it) so I want to check it out anyway.

So you can't take the linkage and shock out with the bike on an Abba stand in the normal position?
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

jchesshyre wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:35 pm I've done 18,000 miles since then which is rather shocking! Especially as it was off the road from May to July when I binned it.

My garage does have metal beams below the ceiling and I have some pretty hefty ratchet straps so maybe I should try this?
I've suspended my bike from rafters before, using ratchet straps. its easy enough to do, but i'd suggest cracking open all the bolts first, as once suspended you may have issues, same goes for torqueing them back up afterwards. fiddly job as access is tricky, the headers get in the way slightly. I did my friends bike last month. I was expecting a horror show, as it had 38k on the clocks, and he had no idea if or when they had been previously done. to our relief they were in very good condition, so I suspect they'd been done a few years ago. they got a good clean and shite loads of fresh moly grease.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

jchesshyre wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:04 pm I had my shock linkage overhauled a year ago with new bearings and bushes etc. (started doing it myself but gave up as I couldn't work out how to undo one of the bolts, which the guy's now turned round so that the nut is more accessible).

To be conscientious I want to re-grease it all again soon. Is it possible to do this just with an Abba stand? I know that you obviously can't do the swingarm bearings with one of these as they fit into the swingarm pivot, and I know I should really be checking these bearings anyway and so should find another way of suspending the bike, but I'm so short of time at the moment I might only have time to do the linkage bearings until later in the year.

So am I right in thinking you can fully disassemble the shock linkage for re-greasing using just an Abba stand?
made me chuckle, as me and my mate did the same thing and reversed two of the bolts to make it easier in the future... :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Well...you mention the headers restricting access, which is indeed one of the things that made it tricky when I attempted it before. However I have a crack in one of the joints near the collector so will be taking the headers off soon to get that sorted, so I guess that would be the ideal moment to look at the linkage...

Not sure how to assess whether the metal framework of my garage is strong enough without just trying, but of course if the answer is 'no' then it'll be a bit late by then...
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Wicky wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:23 pm If you use the engine mount instead of swing arm pivot - IIRC you need to raise the abba stand on wood / bricks. Other options are using a step ladder / or simply two string it up between two gateposts. Whatever gives you access and keeps the bike as secure from dropping over as possible.

Doing it yearly is very conscientious - what milage have you done since this it was last done?
do as wicky says, the trick is to use a 17mm socket, then wrap the outside of the socket in electrical tape so it fits snuggly into the abba stand attachment. I also use two small lengths of 2x4 under the abba stand to help raise the bikes height. works a treat and I've never had an issue... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

deffo use the abba stand, as I mentioned u only need a 17mm socket, some tape and a couple of pieces of wood, much better than suspending it. you can then fully remove the rear shock if needed. we loosened off the top nut holding the shock in place, to give us a little extra wiggle room, that's when we found out my mates bike had a shock spacer fitted lol.
if you ride in all weathers, i'd suggest checking the linkage every year to 18mths. some may say that's overkill, but if you have the tools and a few spare hours it not to difficult. hell I can do it, which means a trained ape can do it..... :wink:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

jchesshyre wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:45 pm Well...you mention the headers restricting access, which is indeed one of the things that made it tricky when I attempted it before. However I have a crack in one of the joints near the collector so will be taking the headers off soon to get that sorted, so I guess that would be the ideal moment to look at the linkage...

Not sure how to assess whether the metal framework of my garage is strong enough without just trying, but of course if the answer is 'no' then it'll be a bit late by then...
just be very careful removing the headers, plenty of wd40 on the front exhaust studs everyday for at least a week, and if they look bad, use a nut splitter to remove the nuts and preserve the studs. a whole world of hurt otherwise mate,
also once the headers are removed, use the black bottled harpic cleaner on them, spay on, leave for 15mins and wash off, a mate did it and the results were epic.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Thanks for this : )

The headers were dented in my spill last May so were replaced then, so hopefully I won't have too much grief with them.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

agentpineapple wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:59 pm also once the headers are removed, use the black bottled harpic cleaner on them, spay on, leave for 15mins and wash off, a mate did it and the results were epic.... :thumbup:
Thanks for this, sounds like a great tip! I like shiny headers!
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Sorry to ask the same question again but just still not quite clear...

Can you service *just* the linkage bearings with the bike on an Abba stand in the normal position (in the swingarm pivot holes)?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Not fully because the Vertical leg of the Abba stand will get in the way of removing the front bolt out off the dogbone IIRC it can't slide out and hit's the leg. If you look at the above image then you will see the big hole that the swingarm bolt slides through and directly below that is the smaller long bolt that slides through the front of the dogbone. Now you could leave this in place and only remove the rear section of the linkage, the triangles, and leave the dogbone dangling but the odd's are your going to struggle to undo one or more of those nuts and more so, slide / hammer the bolts out so it's easier to remove the linkage unit as a whole and take apart. TBH I find it easier to remove the whole swingarm with the linkage in place.

Another problem is the pressure of the Abba clamping on the pivot point for the swingarm so you can't easily move the swinarm up and down which at times it needs a bit of a wiggle to slide bolts out and in. Yes it's mainly the lower shock mount and spring pressure that add's this but it's still stiff even with that removed. I would mount the Abba as above off the engine mount's, remove the wheel, loosen the the top shock mounting nut and disconnect the bottom, remove the front dogbone bolt, slide the swingarm bolt out and remove the complete swingarm with linkage all still attached. You can then easily deal with everything off the bike. You can then give the swingarm bolt / pivot a good dollup of grease too then :thumbup:
==============================Enter the Darkside
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

jchesshyre wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:37 am Sorry to ask the same question again but just still not quite clear...

Can you service *just* the linkage bearings with the bike on an Abba stand in the normal position (in the swingarm pivot holes)?
Yes you can. Remove wheel & hugger if fitted. Take off the exhaust cans & you should have enough room to get to the nut's & bolts to undo them. However space is still limited to get in there & more importantly get the nuts back on & tourqued up correctly.

One of the bolts can be a pain in the harris as the rear downpipe is in the way of it coming out but if you take the top nut off the shock it all should drop down. Top tip is when rebuilding it put the bolt in from the other side.

Having said all that it is much easier to do it by dropping the whole swing arm out so as suggested if you have no way of 'hanging it' use the abba off the engine mounts.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...