Steering Stem- the weak link

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
agentpineapple

Re: Steering Stem- the weak link

Post by agentpineapple »

iirc didn't jamoi come up with a way to beef up the std forks, he used a spare top yoke and attached it just below the bottom yoke, a cheap kind of fork brace.
lets be honest tho, the average storm rider is not likely to come across fork flex on the street, maybe on the track.
and the first stop is to get the fork internals addressed.
oh and if you do use a blade lower yoke with spacers, you will have steering lock issues, you'd have to move your rads back at least 10mm for clearance.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

freeridenick wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:51 am Has anyone fitted a Blade lower yolk with spacers on standard forks? The yolks are cheap and this seems to me to be a simple and very cost effective way of stiffening the front end. So simple I'm assuming there are downsides I'm not aware of.
nick i fitted rwu blade forks and they are spaced different from storm forks. the legs are further apart. i used a 97 front end, the later 98 ones are a further 10mm apart from what i can see.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Cheers AP and Fabio, I knew there was something I was missing. Still saving so I can PM Stephan.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

freeridenick wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:29 pm Cheers AP and Fabio, I knew there was something I was missing. Still saving so I can PM Stephan.
if you can find 98/99 yokes, the earlier blade forks fit dead on but the later yokes have a much meatier bottom ally yoke.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

fabiostar wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:18 pm
freeridenick wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:29 pm Cheers AP and Fabio, I knew there was something I was missing. Still saving so I can PM Stephan.
if you can find 98/99 yokes, the earlier blade forks fit dead on but the later yokes have a much meatier bottom ally yoke.
But as you pointed out above it is wider. Spindle, wheel spacers, and spacers under brake discs or new discs are needed. Still good option anyway, I considered to go this route but didn't want to dispose of my new triumph brake disc bolts, which were expensive :)
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Stephan wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:12 pm
fabiostar wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:18 pm
But as you pointed out above it is wider. Spindle, wheel spacers, and spacers under brake discs or new discs are needed. Still good option anyway, I considered to go this route but didn't want to dispose of my new triumph brake disc bolts, which were expensive :)

yeah it really only works if the whole front end swap is done :thumbup: