R/R

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Solarboy

R/R

Post by Solarboy »

So I’ve been looking at the R/R posts and wanted to check the one on my 97 storm. I think it must be a newer style one as it has fins on it and looks wider than some seen. Any chance someone can take a look at the pic and see what they think? Want to start the new riding season with the usual suspects in good order. Image
If we don't learn from our mistakes we are destin to repeat them
grumpyfrog

Re: R/R

Post by grumpyfrog »

Can you unbolt it and take a photo of underside. It don't look like my old ones, they were proper black and without the sticker. Fingers crossed it's a replacement one already.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
popkat

Post by popkat »

TourMax, after market from Japan

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Seems to be an import sold by Wemoto and up to the standard of later upgraded 01-05 R/R

If you google up > Tourmax regulator < it crops up on various biker forums.

If you're looking over your charging system - check all electrical connections are corrosion free and tight. A lttle silicone grease helps keep it that way esp at this time of year.
Last edited by Wicky on Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Solarboy

Post by Solarboy »

As requested, any good?
Solarboy

Post by Solarboy »

Wicky wrote:Seems to be an import sold by Wemoto and up to the standard of later upgraded 01-05 R/R

If you google up > Tourmax regulator < it crops up on various biker forums.

If you're looking over your charging system - check all electrical connections are corrosion free and tight. A lttle silicone grease helps keep it that way esp at this time of year.
Thanks Wicky, I’m going to go over the electrical system over the next few weeks but wanted to get the R/R checked out. Do you think the Tourmax is a decent one?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Seems acceptable - It's branded and they've been making R/Rs for more than a decade and distributed by Wemoto at a not too cheap a price (compared to cheapy chinese versions) - are you having problems?

If you want to go the whole hog and long term reliability is your priority then splash out on a FH020AA MOSFET or one of the latest SH847 Series R/R

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/c ... 0-a-34792/

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/m ... r-r-34077/
Last edited by Wicky on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

I ran a Tourmax R\R for a while until I switched to a Mosfet unit.

I worked fine but still has the same issues as all diode based R\Rs in that it will fail sometime.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Solarboy

Post by Solarboy »

Thanks chaps. No I’m not having issues but don’t fancy being stranded on the way to Grain Storm!! Lol I’ll check out the Mosfet ones.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

iv been using one of those tourmax units for near 5 years without problems..great job
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Martinz

Post by Martinz »

Do the right thing mate. Yamaha is the only way to go.
Solarboy

Post by Solarboy »

Yea I’ve seen the posts about the R6 R/R mod. Looks like an option.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Solarboy wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:46 pm Image
As requested, any good?
All R\Rs should look like that on the underside. It is bare metal to transfer heat more efficiently to the sub-frame.
One thing you can do is apply some heat sink compound to the underside to make sure you have the best heat transfer possible. :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Solarboy

Post by Solarboy »

8541Hawk wrote:
As requested, any good?
All R\Rs should look like that on the underside. It is bare metal to transfer heat more efficiently to the sub-frame.
One thing you can do is apply some heat sink compound to the underside to make sure you have the best heat transfer possible. :thumbup:
Makes good sense, thanks for the advice. Image
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

8541Hawk wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:54 am
As requested, any good?
Only the cheap pattern MOSFET ones are metal on the back...\all real Shindengen R/Rs are potted epoxy in a metal shell, you will only see epoxy on the back side. many times the bike OEM will sandwich an aluminum plate (heat Sink) between the RR and frame... but the RR it self is not metal on the back, unless its a crap copy.

This was all confirmed with Shindengen ( I called, and was transfered to a Tech person that spoke better English than I do, educated in the west it seems is common, then back home to work)

EDIT: NOTE The epoxy back from Shindengen vice metal...Im speaking about the SH and FH series RR's.. I do not know if that same info applies to ALL Shindengen or other brand RR's, but I do know it applies to the FH and newer SH series..Metal back NOT real... epoxy back, might be real..I have bought a few used ones now that were epoxy back and looked right in the Ebay ad, but once in my hands, suspect so they hit the scrap metal pile.
Last edited by E.Marquez on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training