Fuel tank hoses

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
KatanaKid

Fuel tank hoses

Post by KatanaKid »

Hi all,

I hope my photo has attached ok, I just set up photobucket.

Fuel was leaking from the petcock so I have just installed a new diaphragm kit. Could someone please tell me where the big hose that is sitting in between the fuel hoses facing forward with the cracked end goes to? It was just lying there when I raised the tank. When I looked at it I thought it may attach to the big red tube under the tank that is next to the small breather tube, but it seems too small for that.

Cheers

Maybe swearing will help
MacV2

Re: Fuel tank hoses

Post by MacV2 »

No pic to see... Try using https://imgur.com/ insted.

There are two pipes that conect under the tank. One is a breather the other is the overflow...If you over fill the tank, there is a small hole in the neck, it runs down the smaller of the tubes & out down near the belly pan l/h side.

The fat pipe (No. 29, the breather) goes directly on the spigot the smaller one conects via a white plastic conector.( No.s 4,26,28.)

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon ... /fuel-tank

Some times when you lift the tank these pipes can slip down, just pull them back up to give some extra slack, they are not conected to anything at the other end.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
KatanaKid

Post by KatanaKid »

Thanks Mac,

Bugger. The photo I took is showing up on my screen in the post, I thought for a second there I was doing well. I have the small tube that attaches to where you have "yes" on your photo, fuel was leaking out from where you said "no", rolling off the rubber flap and onto the hot exhaust. I am hoping a new kit will fix it.

I'll try imgur..
Maybe swearing will help
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

KatanaKid wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:03 am Thanks Mac,

Bugger. The photo I took is showing up on my screen in the post, I thought for a second there I was doing well. I have the small tube that attaches to where you have "yes" on your photo, fuel was leaking out from where you said "no", rolling off the rubber flap and onto the hot exhaust. I am hoping a new kit will fix it.

I'll try imgur..

The 'yes' stub is the Vac tube conection. The 'no' stub is just a vent, nothing conects to it it shouldnt be leaking !
KatanaKid

Post by KatanaKid »

Can you see the photo now mate?

Zvw5coL.jpg
Maybe swearing will help
KatanaKid

Post by KatanaKid »

Yes, I wasn't too happy when I saw fuel leaking from the bottom of the petcock..

The diaphragms looked a bit flimsy and weak but I can't see any cracks in them.

Does the fat pipe connect to the red spigot under the tank?
Maybe swearing will help
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

When I looked at it I thought it may attach to the big red tube under the tank that is next to the small breather tube, but it seems too small for that.
That's the one. Put it in a cup of boiling water so the pipe expands and then slip it on. You may have to pull it up a bit if there is not a lot of slack to get it on. The other end runs down the side of the generater cover.
==============================Enter the Darkside
KatanaKid

Post by KatanaKid »

Thanks VTR.

I cut the cracked end off the tube and it doesn't look as though it would slip over it. Boiling water and brute force it is!

Don't know how long the tube was off for, but would that affect performance at all?
Maybe swearing will help
KatanaKid

Post by KatanaKid »

Ok, I managed to get it all back together with all the rubber bits going over all the appropriate pipes. Good news is there is no more leaking petrol from the petcock and the bike started easily and idled nicely (woop!) Bad news is the smoke is still pluming and I can't see why but I'm going to have to leave it until tomorrow..
Maybe swearing will help
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

KatanaKid wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:08 am Can you see the photo now mate?

Yes I can but only by clicking on the link.

If you want to post the pic so it comes up in the post then you have to copy the correct link on the imgur img.

When you have downloaded the pic to imgur, click on the thumbnail & it will bring the pic up bigger & there will be a side bar with all the links. You need to use the ... BBCode (message boards & forums) box. Hit copy, then return to your post in the making & paste the link in.

Like this...

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

The only thing I'd add to this is line 'A' the breather normaly has a small stub of pipe on the spigot with a white plastic conector on it the the loose pipe goes on to... No reason why it wont work as is but you may want to put a wire clamp on it like on the vac line to stop it falling off.

You mention in yor opening post that one of the pipes had cracking on the end...All these pipes are getting on 20years old now. I'd suggest that any that show cracking should be trimmed back to make good....spesh the Vac line as you dont want any air leaks...
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Code: Select all

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Zvw5coL.jpg[/img]
You seem to have part no 27 and 11 missing to connect the drain hose

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces ... STORM.html

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

oops double post
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
KatanaKid

Post by KatanaKid »

Thanks guys, you really are great help.

Mac how did you know I'm terrified of spiders? And yes I trimmed off the cracked end and dipped it in boiled water that I poured into an empty beer bottle and shoved it on(the bottle was already empty of beer).

Wicky those bits you mentioned that are missing...the hose is connected straight on to the breather on the tank. Is the plastic bit necessary?

So this morning I started it up and smoke started up again and has now stopped. I have a feeling some fuel may have found its way into the header? and has now burnt off and no smoke after all that. i have a small leak from the back cylinder where the header connects to the curly pipe underneath and that is where the smoke was coming from. Looks ok, no petrol leak.

I vacuumed the air filter as it was a bit dirty. Thinking of getting a SIMOTA, what do you guys think of them? I can get one posted from UK for a little over $100 AUD, or get stock for about $35 AUD.

Cheers
Maybe swearing will help
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Stick with stock or if you can get Hi-Flo over there it's as good as stock...

Scared of Spiders ya big wuss...Except the ones you have over there are a bit more leathal, so I suppose your right to be scared of them... :lol: :lol:

Frank is abit chunky these days...