Li-ion battery

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Red3446

Li-ion battery

Post by Red3446 »

Hallo everybody

There's any problem installing a Li-Ion battery instead of genuine one? Meaning if someone who has already installed one has encoutred electronic or recharging problems.

Thank you very much.
E.Marquez

Re: Li-ion battery

Post by E.Marquez »

Red3446 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:59 am Hallo everybody

There's any problem installing a Li-Ion battery instead of genuine one? Meaning if someone who has already installed one has encoutred electronic or recharging problems.

Thank you very much.
Have been running Li-Ion batteries in both my SH for years, no issue...Homeade at first and now Shorai
BUT I also use a MOFSET RR wired directly to the battery vice though the stock wiring harness that allows better than stock charging voltage.
Will a Li-Ion battery work in your bike? Check the charging system as it is now, if you are seeing 13.6-14.4 volts when running it should be ok.
If your at the lower end of that or below, it likely will not give you full performance.

If your not getting 14.2 or so at the battery and want to, install a genuine Shindengen FH020AA MOSFET regulator https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/g ... r-r-24798/
Or the newer Series type Shindengen SH 847 https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/m ... r-r-34077/

Using Furukawa 250 QLW Series R&R Connectors, marine grade tined 12ga wire on the RR to battery though a 40 amp marine rated circuit breaker or fuse and holder, marine grade tined 14ga wire from Stator to RR
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
Red3446

Post by Red3446 »

Ok, it's clear.

Thank you very much! :thumbup: :thumbup: :wave: :wave:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I used one for several years in my Storm; it's now in my SP2.
No problems at all.
You can't use a normal battery charger or conditioner; but as they don't lose charge if not used for a while, it doesn't need it. Mine stands in the winter for a month or two at a time; still starts fine even in very cold weather.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Red3446

Post by Red3446 »

tony.mon wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:40 pm I used one for several years in my Storm; it's now in my SP2.
No problems at all.
You can't use a normal battery charger or conditioner; but as they don't lose charge if not used for a while, it doesn't need it. Mine stands in the winter for a month or two at a time; still starts fine even in very cold weather.
Thank you very much.

Infact, this is the only doubt I have. For battery maintenance I know a dedicated battery charger is necessary but I was not sure for the bike's charging system.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :wave:
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Red3446 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:43 am
tony.mon wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:40 pm I used one for several years in my Storm; it's now in my SP2.
No problems at all.
Thank you very much.

Infact, this is the only doubt I have. For battery maintenance I know a dedicated battery charger is necessary but I was not sure for the bike's charging system.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :wave:
There are several battery tenders on the market that will do Li ion and "regular" batteries as well..
But they can only provide a strait steady charge to all cells at the same time (like and old school "dumb" charger would do, with also works quite well for a Li Ion battery charger..its just not set and forget, needs to be monitored)
The advantage of a Brand specific Li Ion battery charger is it can charge and balance the cells....
https://shoraipower.com/-c43 well worth the buy in to get the best service life from your pricey Li Ion battery. And as stated already, its not like a lead acid that does better hooked up to a tender, the Li Ion stores well. The more key off power using items you have, the more often you will need to hook up and charge your Li Ion battery
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
popkat

Post by popkat »

Lithium Batteries don't like sub zero temperatures (Celsius) I have read that if you need to start up in very cold weather you can turn the ignition on and leave it 2 or 3 minutes before trying to start up, the live electrical circuits will warm the battery and it will start easier. I've not tried this though as don't need to ride in really cold weather.

I use a NOCO Genius GS1100 charger, It has 4 types of charge, 6v, 12v, cold charge boost and Lithium, you have to set it to Lithium so it won't go there by mistake, seems a very good charger. I did check voltage after charging and it showed 13.3v, I think a lithium can handle up to 15.2v (again read somewhere), On the bike I charged (VFR) the charge rate when running was 14.8. I wouldn't leave a lithium on charge long term, they should charge quickly, they also discharge very slow so if idle for a long period maybe one charge after 5 or 6 months will do. My VFR has sat since early October, I started it for a quick warm up before Christmas, and the battery had plenty of power, I charged it this week just to see and it took about 10 minutes to go green, the bike fired up instantly.

On a Storm if you earth the reg/rec direct to the battery your voltage will rise, I have done it to a few now and for example if it's charging at 13.6 it'll go up to about 14v, Good earth is essential to a reg/rec, if the earth is good then failure isn't common. no real need imo to buy an expensive Mosfet, In fact there are some cheap crappy Mosfets on the market that won't do the job very well and are no better or worse than a normal shunt type, So buy the best you can afford if you must go that route. My storm Is still on it's original Non finned reg/rec It's earthed to battery and still going strong after 18 years, I do have a new genuine Honda finned one but there's been no need to fit it.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s