Roger Says...Wait he did?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Roger Ditchfield

Re: Roger Says...Wait he did?

Post by Roger Ditchfield »

Thank you to all the guys who have helped me over my difficulty in posting my reply. As you see thanks to your help I have been successful Cheers Roger :D
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Thanks Roger for persevering, and for your post, I'm pleased you got there in the end :thumbup:
I enjoyed reading your post :D

Chris.
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Roger Ditchfield wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:43 pm Hi Guys,
The question of CCTs is multi-faceted and complex one and sadly there are no definitive answers. Here are my experiences for what they are worth!
All the Revolution Racing VTR1000f Firestorms (ST2 and ST3 raced using OEM CCTs without issue. As they were being raced also under the banner of Honda Britain and partially supported by HRC it would have been impossible to change them for an aftermarket product but we have allowed to modify the OEM part had we found it necessary. It must be remembered the engines were all brand new and were rebuilt after every BSB Supercup weekend. Also the engines were fired with the bike standing level on front and rear stands and subjected to a twenty minute warm up procedure from cold whereas street bikes tend to be fired up on the sidestand while the rider puts on his helmet and gloves before driving off.
My workshop experience of street VTRs CCTs is extremely varied. The highest mileage I have had to CCT failure was 97,000 miles on a bike used every day by a London courier. The lowest was less than 30 miles on a bike that had been run from new for two days after it had been stored for three years. I have had failures at every mileage in between! Therefore mileage is not a factor but types and regularity of usage possibly may be. I am always an advocate of Preventative Maintenance but in the case of CCTs I cannot give any sort of replacement schedule based on mileage.
Although all the Revolution Racing bikes of other models (R1s, R6s, CBR 900s, CBR 600, GSXR 6s and GSXR 1000) raced under our own banner used Manual CCTs I never felt comfortable in recommended their use by DIY riders. The reasoning for this is that setting up is “by ear”, feel and experience and these qualities often in short supply by private riders. The long term and extensive damage that can be caused by incorrect adjustment often outweighs the damage caused by CCT failure in the majority of cases. All our MCCTs were adjusted before every track appearance.
It cannot be denied that there is an issue with some OEM CCTs I believe that the fear of it is greater than the reality and there are relatively few major engine failures due to CCTs. I am therefore generally in favour of retaining the CCTs on normal mileage street bikes.
I am really sorry that I cannot give more definitive or less controversial advice based on known facts instead of opinion.
Good Luck guys
Thank you very much for your time in responding....
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

:thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

cheers for the response Roger, made good reading.. :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Wow...well there we have it. There is no definative answer so it's the same old story and down to ones own personal preferance. One things for sure leaving as standard is not the best idea so at least the stopper is a good preventative measure in case. Certainly a bike that have been sitting a while needs something done as is at higher risk and also running on the side stand for too long is not a good thing.

Thank you so much for your time and persistance Roger. It's very much apreciated :thumbup:
==============================Enter the Darkside
Steve97

Post by Steve97 »

I got the impression he is more in favour of the autos than manuals as manuals are virtually impossible to accurately adjust, and need to be flexible throughout the rev range, also they will cause accelerated wear and tear on components, you might want to set them at 6mm play cold, but that could be too tight at 8.5 thou revs or not, but the autos will adjust to suit, thats the way i understood it :wtf: (i could be completely wrong !) interesting read tho, so ill be sticking with the stopper mod ! :thumbup:
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

That was a good read and lots of good info, Thanks for taking the time to write that all out for us.

It is nice to know there is no real answer so all this can be put behind us. :thumbup: :beer:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Beef

Post by Beef »

Sorry to dig up an old thread......

Whats the issue with starting bike on side stand - I'm not looking for arguing the case, happily start the bike upright from now on!!

having read loads on here about CCT's, I think I'll modify the standard ones this winter :)
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Beef wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:28 am Sorry to dig up an old thread......

Whats the issue with starting bike on side stand - I'm not looking for arguing the case, happily start the bike upright from now on!!

having read loads on here about CCT's, I think I'll modify the standard ones this winter :)
i think the theory was that the front cct got starved of oil when it was sitting leaning over warming up.. at least thats how i read it. 14235 times lol.. tho i could be wrong :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

i always warm mine up upright just incase and until the engine has at least some heat showing on the gauge.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

On all my bikes with a manual choke I start them upright and hold the starter on until the oil light goes out. I then pull the choke out slowly until the motor runs. Anal I know but it keeps me happy.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Beef

Post by Beef »

fabiostar wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:50 pm
Beef wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:28 am Sorry to dig up an old thread......

i think the theory was that the front cct got starved of oil when it was sitting leaning over warming up.. at least thats how i read it. 14235 times lol.. tho i could be wrong :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

i always warm mine up upright just incase and until the engine has at least some heat showing on the gauge.
Christ - I thought I had to do some anal sh1t starting and warming that up - never thought I'd have to do the same with a Honda :roll: :lol: It really shouldn't be starved of oil on start up if the oil pressure is fine.......but an upright bike is an easy fix :thumbup:
Beef

Post by Beef »

:think: :think: Don't know why that posted twice....and I can't find a delete button :!:
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Beef wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:54 am It really shouldn't be starved of oil on start up if the oil pressure is fine.......but an upright bike is an easy fix :thumbup:
Its not pressure fed oil, its just splash lubed...
And the front one, angled the way it is, has no "pocket of oil" like the rear one... The front CCT drains as the bike is left not running.
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
Beef

Post by Beef »

E.Marquez wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:53 pm
Beef wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:54 am It really shouldn't be starved of oil on start up if the oil pressure is fine.......but an upright bike is an easy fix :thumbup:
Its not pressure fed oil, its just splash lubed...
And the front one, angled the way it is, has no "pocket of oil" like the rear one... The front CCT drains as the bike is left not running.
Ah got it :thumbup:

Buell has the same issue with the gearbox output bearing - they are forever failing if not addressed 8O