Engine break in

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
8541Hawk

Re: Engine break in

Post by 8541Hawk »

No worries guys, just didn't want things to go off the rails.

Thanks for the reply Kenmoore and it echos some of what I was told coming up. Also someone else who has seen what the factory does to new engines.
At one time I did all the engine balancing at a shop called Valley Head Service which back in the 80s, when I was there, it was one of the go to shops for performance builds. I also built engines on the side for SCCA racing. So I have been around a few good people.
Now usually the ones that I built were big old V8s (5.0 liter CanAm) , well except for the little 850 fiat engine for the D sports class (on that one the 2 side draft Webers were almost as big as the engine...lol) and they all put out more than 1 HP per cubic inch which was a big deal back in the day.

They were all run in hard. The way it was explained to me was it is like muscles. If you use them, they will be strong. If you don't they will be weak.
Translated to an engine, if you run it hard the power will be there when you need it. Run it easy and there will not be anything there.

Hey at least I didn't try to explain what really happens to a ACCT and why they fail....now that is a real forbidden topic, which is unfortunate because there is also other potential damage being done ....and there is an answer and its not that it is a bad design. :angel:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Engine break in

Post by sirch345 »

podman wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:30 pm No falling out intended here, my(attempt at a) hint of sarcasm was maybe a bit too wide of the mark..its your engine, do as you see fit with it, we're all grown ups and have gained enough experience to make our judgments. :thumbup:
That is a very good point :thumbup:

Chris.