clutch woes

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
fabiostar

clutch woes

Post by fabiostar »

ok this one has my toolbox stumped :sad2 . trying to replace my worn clutch basket with a fitter one and new plates but the large star shaped nut holding the centre basket on? wtf kinda yoke fits that?

iv never removed one on a storm before.. tell me its not a honda tool of some sort??
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
8541Hawk

Re: clutch woes

Post by 8541Hawk »

A standard 12 point 30 mm socket fits on there, just remember you have to un-stake the nut before you remove it
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

ah right i didnt realise it was a standard fit socket........

unstake you mean were its been punched ?

iv a bit of rock in my basket so im gona change it while im in doing the plates.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Yes you need to address the bit that is pushed down into the groove. I use a dremel and just cut that bit out but you might be able to get something under it and lift it up.

Another clutch "trick" is to leave the clutch plates in place while removing the center bolt. This usually causes enough grab on the basket to be able to spin the nut off with an impact without a holding tool.
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

clutch nut.jpg
Grind off the small staked dimple on the nut before removal..be mindful not to grind into the shaft keyway

There are "tricks" to removing the nut with out a proper bought or homemade clutch holder,,,, but if you try it with something just wedged in the basket or hub, there are plenty of posts telling the tail of broken baskets or hubs..
The tool is cheap, look on amazon or Ebay for the EBC clutch holder tool Pn
CT009 should be at or under GBP 28.64 I usually find them for under $20 USD or so

Edit Note: Yikes, there are a bit more dear in the uk https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_osac ... 9&_sacat=0
Thats double what I pay here in the US
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

We don't get the term 'rip off Britain' for no reason :( Most things are cheaper in the States. Then if we want to buy from the States we then get hit with customs charges (unless via a friend) which makes it pointless unless it's something that can't be bought elsewhere. It could be called our Mexican wall. :lol:
==============================Enter the Darkside
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

VTRDark wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:04 pm
We don't get the term 'rip off Britain' for no reason :( Most things are cheaper in the States. Then if we want to buy from the States we then get hit with customs charges (unless via a friend) which makes it pointless unless it's something that can't be bought elsewhere. It could be called our Mexican wall. :lol:
Well wombles...
I think by the time I add shipping to UK and buy in cost here it would be at the £24.95 local UK cost :eek2 Otherwise Id start sending um to "friends"
Post event services

Total Rider
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Sounds like its time to get the welder out and put a handle on an old steel.....
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

holding tool wise i got one a while back just for the job..

the clutch basket change is just because no matter what iv done i cant get neutral when i stop and its a bit notchy on some changes in the lower gears. a heavy duty ebc clutch kit already installed showed up the nautral problem..

changed masters twice,slave once, tried the system of the yellow bike, tried the mc/slave from the blue one onto the yellow one and it worked fine, soon as i lifed it back on the blue yoke it wouldnt behave.

so iv a different set of steels and kevlar plates along with basket from a known motor that was working fine to install.. i did notice quite a bit of basket rock so thats the last bit to be replaced and i should be good to go :clap:
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

8541Hawk wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:43 am Sounds like its time to get the welder out and put a handle on an old steel.....
Good point Mike...
I have made clutch hub holder from old driven steel plates :thumbup: pretty fast and easy.

Making a basket holder from an old drive plate is a bit more involved, but done that as well :thumbup: .

Rivet a stacked drive and driven plate together then weld a handle to the steel plate and you have a holder..

I made 2 or 3 of these and someone on a forum said they looked like the $18 EBC ones you can buy :roll:
Time vs cost to buy the EBC one....I started buying the EBC holders if they have one that fits. But still make one occasionally for the odd ball motor that is not supported
Post event services

Total Rider
Keef

Post by Keef »

I've also made a couple of holding tools,from old plain plates,always worked for me !
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You can push the dimple back out using a small cheap electrical screwdriver.
The nut can then be reused if it has no cracks at the dimple.

Just ask if you need some spare steel and friction plates to make a holding tool, lots of us have spares and someone near you will probably help.
I have some free to anyone who wants to collect, or at grainstorm meeting.
I can't throw anything away, me...
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

tony.mon wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:17 pm You can push the dimple back out using a small cheap electrical screwdriver.
The nut can then be reused if it has no cracks at the dimple.
Honestly, in the 20 or so VTR clutch hub nuts I have removed......I used an impact..... the "stake" moved well enough on its own with no damage, marks or evidence on the shaft at all.
Reinstalled the same nut using high strength thread lock , and re-staked the nut. :biggrin
Post event services

Total Rider