Moriwaki cut on a flywheel this week

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
E.Marquez

Moriwaki cut on a flywheel this week

Post by E.Marquez »

Was asked to do a Moriwaki cut on a flywheel this week..not something I normally do anymore, but as I was already set up for flywheels this week it was an easy deal to knock out.

I was a little surprised at how little weight it removed.
Started at 7lb 3 oz
Start 7_3.jpg
Removing 0.50" of OD from the weight disk only finished at 6 lb 8 oz
Finish 6_8.jpg
Reduced by 11 oz

Its what the rider feels works best for his riding style, and I cant fault that, we all ride differently, and what "feels" best for one is not the same as for another.
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
8541Hawk

Re: Moriwaki cut on a flywheel this week

Post by 8541Hawk »

Now who would be silly enough to want one of those...... :angel:

I know I'm an odd duck but it all fits the plan :D I don't like\can't use the quick turn throttles either, the stock 1\4 turn works fine for me.

Thanks and Erik for doing a special order :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

one of mine started with the mori size wheel and as you say Erik they dont have a lot removed from them. im generally in around the 5.5lbs for most of the ones i do which is just nice before it gets silly rev wise below that weight :D ..

im running two weights. one at 4.6lbs and one at 5.5lb and they are worlds apart.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

fabiostar wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:12 am one of mine started with the mori size wheel and as you say Erik they dont have a lot removed from them. im generally in around the 5.5lbs for most of the ones i do which is just nice before it gets silly rev wise below that weight :D ..

im running two weights. one at 4.6lbs and one at 5.5lb and they are worlds apart.
tee hee.... music to my ears; now I am REALLY looking forward to trying my new 4.75 lb version... should be fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnn!
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

mik_str wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:25 pm
fabiostar wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:12 am one of mine started with the mori size wheel and as you say Erik they dont have a lot removed from them. im generally in around the 5.5lbs for most of the ones i do which is just nice before it gets silly rev wise below that weight :D ..

tee hee.... music to my ears; now I am REALLY looking forward to trying my new 4.75 lb version... should be fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnn!
lol have you ever a treat coming to you lol :clap: , honestly these things rev like a bloody 2 stroke once you go below 5lb :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 .

what iv found strange is, iv done near a dozen of them so far and no two weight the same as standard. anything between 7.3 upto the porker i weighed at 7.6 lbs and the run out on the baskets has been upto .7 mm. which i found was a mad big number :confused
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Bring it on baby!!!! This is precisely what I was shooting for - instantaneous response and acceleration. I am currently running one cut to Roger's spec (by Roger himself) but this new one should be almost 2 lbs lighter.... he he

guess I'll find out this spring...

now back to our regularly scheduled post (sorry for the threadjack)
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

fabiostar wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:00 pm what iv found strange is, iv done near a dozen of them so far and no two weight the same as standard. anything between 7.3 upto the porker i weighed at 7.6 lbs and the run out on the baskets has been upto .7 mm. which i found was a mad big number :confused
Couple of reasons for weight variance, different suppliers and a spec range they must be made to.
They are balanced, and weight is removed to do so...which leads to the second thing you mentioned ..the basket run out.. That steel basket around the magnets is pressure formed sheet steel...around a soft magnet ..the basket shape is going to very a bit, but because its balanced after being fully assembled, that run out is of little issue.
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

thanks for the insight Erik
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Well lots of input and also you guys gave the reason I like a bit heavier flywheel in my bike.

I'm one of those guys that is back in the throttle while the bike is still cranked over. Gives you great drive out of the corner but with too light of flywheel or too quick of a throttle tube and it becomes very easy to upset the chassis.
I have also tried a RC45 throttle tube and pulled that out also and went back to the stock 1\4 turn.

Maybe I'm just too hamfisted for the super light stuff but I do know what works for me. Still have no issues running down the squids on their liter I4s on the weekly ride out.... :angel: :D

As for the weight of the flywheel I sent in, it is a very early one so maybe that is why it is at the low end of stock for the weight.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Sadly, we don't have amazing roads like some in California (we have some nice ones, but none amazing like the Golden State)... I have also worked very hard over the years to develop a soft touch (something I started mastering while snowmobiling and carried over to my motorcycling), so I take the quick throttle and powerful brakes as an additional challenge to help me further master the technique.
Keef

Post by Keef »

I'm interested in the flywheel Fabiostar has for sale, but as I don't have the required 50 posts,I can't reply to his add.If anyone can give him a heads up for me that would be grand.
(sorry to the mods if this is an infringement of the rules,but it is quite frustrating not being able to reply to adds directly !)

Fabiostar,if you see this,I have txtd you on a number from a different vtr forum ! ;-)

cheers
Keef.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Keef wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:22 pm I'm interested in the flywheel Fabiostar has for sale, but as I don't have the required 50 posts,I can't reply to his add.If anyone can give him a heads up for me that would be grand.
(sorry to the mods if this is an infringement of the rules,but it is quite frustrating not being able to reply to adds directly !)

Fabiostar,if you see this,I have txtd you on a number from a different vtr forum ! ;-)

cheers
Keef.
I'll send him a PM and link :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

cheers boys. in contact now :thumbup: :thumbup:
Keef

Post by Keef »

where there's a will,there's a way !
cheers boys !
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Keef wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:00 pm where there's a will,there's a way !
cheers boys !
cheers keith... you got to it just in time cause i was starting to fancy putting it on the yellow bike :lol: :lol: