New chain time

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jchesshyre

New chain time

Post by jchesshyre »

My chain's started to feel a bit rough and some links are starting to bind. Usual story (hmmm, sodium chloride anyone?).

By my calculations I fitted it (D.I.D. X-ring) 18,000 miles ago. Not bad going for a torquey twin like this! Would like to pass the 20,000 mark but I don't have a chain oiler fitted and I ride all through winter. I do apply gear oil frequently however.

Anyway, I see that the OEM fitment was a D.I.D. Super Heavy Duty (aka ZVM). But these are much more expensive than the non-Super Heavy Duty ones (as I fitted last time). Am I likely to see appreciably more mileage out of a super-heavy duty one? Any of you high mileage folks drawn any conclusions about this before?
popkat

Re: New chain time

Post by popkat »

The original type chain has been well superseded now days (it was an O ring) Buy the best X ring you can afford, the more you pay generally the better and longer lasting you get.. Any chain will not last long if not looked after, but for you to get 18000 out of your last chain you must be looking after it.. The DID ZVM is their top chain and it will cost a bit more. Be careful on ebay as sellers sometimes offer the chain you want nice and cheap but you get a lower quality chain, check small print. Best to buy from a very reputable dealer.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

buy the best you can when it comes to chains.. some cheap crap for sale that just wont stick the pace on a big lump like a vtr.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Oh god yeah, absolutely. My question was just regarding D.I.D. VX (heavy duty) vs their ZVMX (super heavy duty).

Anyway I've gone with the ZVMX :thumbup:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

have a look at loobman chain oiler. it is a great way to keep your chain oiled and a simple design [as long as you remember to press the button every ride] which gets oil onto O-rings each side of the chain.
AMcQ
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Actually...I have one of these but (I'm embarrassed to say) I've never got round to fitting it. I really should...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

jchesshyre wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:37 am Oh god yeah, absolutely. My question was just regarding D.I.D. VX (heavy duty) vs their ZVMX (super heavy duty).

Anyway I've gone with the ZVMX :thumbup:
If you don't mind me asking who are you purchasing yours from :?:

Chris.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Demon Tweeks. They're actually just down the road from me, in Wrexham.

Paid £122.66 all-in for a D.I.D. ZVM-X chain and sprocket kit!

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcyc ... heavy-duty

Not bad considering the RRP of the chain alone is around £150.

I went for the super heavy duty in the end because (a) it's the OEM chain (although as mentioned above that would have been with plain O-rings not X-rings) and (b) because I was won over by what's written here http://www.didchain.com/streetChains.html.

Now I need to find a good chain tool. Last one I used (I think I've posted about this before) was a Sealey one which despite being rated for 530 chains stripped its threads (quite spectacularly in fact) whilst I was mushrooming the rivets. I took it back to Demon Tweeks and Sealey gave me a full refund. They do a heavy duty one (http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.a ... results=16) but it's rather bloody pricey...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

jchesshyre wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:43 pm Demon Tweeks. They're actually just down the road from me, in Wrexham.

Paid £122.66 all-in for a D.I.D. ZVM-X chain and sprocket kit!

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcyc ... heavy-duty

Not bad considering the RRP of the chain alone is around £150.

I went for the super heavy duty in the end because (a) it's the OEM chain (although as mentioned above that would have been with plain O-rings not X-rings) and (b) because I was won over by what's written here http://www.didchain.com/streetChains.html.

Now I need to find a good chain tool. Last one I used (I think I've posted about this before) was a Sealey one which despite being rated for 530 chains stripped its threads (quite spectacularly in fact) whilst I was mushrooming the rivets. I took it back to Demon Tweeks and Sealey gave me a full refund. They do a heavy duty one (http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.a ... results=16) but it's rather bloody pricey...
Many thanks for that information, very helpful :thumbup:

It sounds like you had a good deal at that price. Did you get JT or PowerRite sprockets :?:

Rather than purchasing a good quality chain riveting tool, I'm considering getting a local motorcycle shop to rivet mine. The good thing about the Firestorm is you can fit the chain fairly easy after it's been riveted together, unlike many bikes you don't have to take the swingarm out,

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

On the other hand, taking the swingarm out would prompt you to check and regrease the shock linkage and sa bearings, and apart from having to suspend the bike it's not a big job....but often "put off" or overlooked.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:20 am On the other hand, taking the swingarm out would prompt you to check and regrease the shock linkage and sa bearings, and apart from having to suspend the bike it's not a big job....but often "put off" or overlooked.
Good point Tony :thumbup:

Chris.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

sirch345 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:23 pm It sounds like you had a good deal at that price. Did you get JT or PowerRite sprockets :?:
The kit arrived today. The sprockets are neither JT nor PowerRite but 'AFAM' - never heard of them - hope they're not sh*t. It's a D.I.D.-made kit so hopefully they're not.

The chain looks HENCH: Image
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

AFAM sprockets are very good. We have them here and I have use both the std and Al sprocket and have had good results with both.
In fact their Al sprockets are the only ones that last for any time on a VTR :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Agreed, afam are nice enough.
I use afam front sprockets but supersprox rears.
I've never found a deal with a good quality chain and a supersprox rear sprocket so end up buying a set and selling the rear steel one off.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

Afam make a nifty looking riveter too,also available @ demon around £16