Fairing mount weights and vacuum pipes

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Commando77

Fairing mount weights and vacuum pipes

Post by Commando77 »

Have been working thru my recent buy, cleaning, checking, doing the Ccts, tps and valve clearances etc. While I had the fairing off I noticed the caps missing from the tubes near the mirror mounts. The manual describes weights and removal/replacement. Mine has nothing in the tubes I can see. Are these dampers like bar weights? Are they important?
On the carb balance front I've added a brass fitting to front carb and left the pipes connected. Now, these are Carbtune and have restrictors in them so is that likely to affect fuel valve operation? It seems to work ok at idle but wondered if low vacuum situations and restrictors could be incompatible. I've also plugged the ends with a joiner so technically they are pulling against each other, good or bad idea? On my Commando that's STD with a balance pipe on the intake manifolds.
Would appreciate anyone's thoughts, as dumb as my questions might appear :(
Btw, happy new year to all.
MacV2

Re: Fairing mount weights and vacuum pipes

Post by MacV2 »

The wighta in the mirror subframe help damp the vibes to the mirrors, not having them will not kill you but mirrors may vibe a bit more.

As fot the tbes I just use vac tube no dampers, the carbtune pipes themselves have dampers on them so no need for extras in the pipes your fitting. Yes they do need capping off.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Commando77

Post by Commando77 »

Thanks Mac. Ok that makes sense on the mirrors, first modern bike with a fairing for me.
Yes i put the restrictors in but was wondering if the low signal on acceleration might let the fuel valve shut. I guess it happens even with no restriction and the valve stays open long enough to even out low and high vacuum.They are plugged but to each other so are pulling on each other. With them unplugged/uncapped there was little effect on idle, tiny volume of air i guess. I'll plug them seperately. Cheers.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Keep the ends capped off seperatly or they will fight each other joining them together unless capped. Restrictors in them wont do any harm. You can either have them on that end or on tubes coming from the carbtune side to attach on the bike which is what I do but you do need them or your reading will be bouncing around all over the place. Weights are as Mac says to take some vibes out of the mirrors. "Good bah bah the good vibration bah bah oooo ooooo ooooo good bah bah good vibrations bah bah" Ooops I just realised making noises like that might attract Lloydie :lol:
==============================Enter the Darkside
Commando77

Post by Commando77 »

Yes i have the restrictors close to the intakes like carbtune advise. Because there is so little airflow with them the idle doesnt obviously change with pipes open, joined or capped. I will however cap them separately. On old 360 degree twins like my Norton intake manifolds have a balance pipe between them to smooth out idle. They have to be balanced separately though and when thats complete and pipe reconnected you can hear the idle change. Odd that all the anti vibe mirror bits are missing, the bike is totally stock and complete otherwise. Tks again.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

The front fairing subframe IIRC has internal weights and have placcy back plastic plugs to keep water out.

A PO might have had it apart to powder coat and never bothered to put it back together properly.

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces ... STORM.html

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts