Swing arm removal

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
gabi81

Swing arm removal

Post by gabi81 »

ok so i need to change my swing arm as I forgot to tighten my sprocket nuts and they chewed my swing arm to pieces are any special tools needed? and could anybody give an idea how to support bike while I remove it
thanks
Aha you know what it is black and yellow...black and yellow !!!
Wicky

Re: Swing arm removal

Post by Wicky »

Step ladder, garage rafter or cobble something together.

Prior to that to change the rt footpeg hanger I strung rope between a gatepost supporting the the rear subframe.

Plus it will give you access to service the shock / swingarm linkage bearings > viewtopic.php?f=31&t=11809

Remember to torque it all back up to spec
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

I don't suppose you have an abba stand?

I was able to mod mine with a 17mm socket and jubilee clip which lifted the frame instead of swingarm
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Rafters for me. Couple of ratchet straps through the seat hooks.

Whatever way you do it. Put it on a normal padock stand.

Remove the rear wheel.

Crack the swing arm nut & the nut that holds the long end of the dogbone.

Remove the cans & links, makes it much easier to get at things.

Tank needs to come off as the tab at the rear covers the top shock nut.

Loosen the top shock nut.

Now get your straps/ropes/chains in place & tighten them just so they are tight & not lifting the bike off the padock stand.

Now remove the padockstand, the bike will drop slightly & the straps will tighten up & hold the bike suspended.
I do it like this as when you are done with the swing arm change, basicaly you can get it all boxed back up bar the rear wheel, you put the padock stand back & it put the slack back into the straps. 1st time I did a swingarm out I just pulled it up on the ratchet straps, letting it back down was a bit scary, as you can only do one strap at a time, I thought the bike was going to fall over, as it lurched to one side... :lol:

Once suspended, remove the bolt from the long end of the dogbone, then take the nut off the top of the shock,then remove the swingarm bolt. As you do this its now just hanging on the top shock bolt where it goes through the frame, wiggle it about & it should pull through. At this point you'll think bugger its caught on the rear downpipe, with a bit of a wiggle it will come out.

Now the swingarm is free strip the linkage as at this point it's best to regrease all the brearings, spacers & bolts.

Swap the lincage over to the new swinger & while it's out It's much easier to torque up all the bits.

Wiggle it back in to place get the top shock bolt up through the frame & put the nut on loosly just to stop it falling back out.

I find it easier to get the dog bone bolt in first then the swingarm bolt through.

Don't forget when you offer up the swingarm to route the chain back over before you put the bolt in... Otherwise you'll have to take it back out again...You know what they say about learning from your mistakes... :lol: :lol:

Swing arm, dogbone & top shock nut's now do up finger tight.

Padock stand back in. Torque up the finger tight bolts. Rear wheel back in. Tank back on. Links & cans back on. Remove the straps & then the padock stand. Put tools away. Wash hands. Have a beer/tea/coffee/soft drink of your choice...Stand back & bask in the satisfaction of a job well done.

If at this point you notice a nut, bolt, washer or part on the floor...Either. a/ indentify said object & cry as you realise you have to do it all over again. b/ think fek it & hurl said object into a dark corner of the cave. c/ repeat the phrase over & over...buggerbuggerfekfekfekbuggerit ! Then kick it into a dark corner.

Job done.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
popkat

Post by popkat »

I used a flat jack and blocks of wood on the back of the engine to lift the bike up. Clear access to swingarm. Crack the nuts before lifting.. And don't forget to tighten everything when you done ;)

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
gabi81

Post by gabi81 »

My nxt question where do i get the bearing kit to replace for linkage as guy i bought from a while bck doesnt do them anymore
Aha you know what it is black and yellow...black and yellow !!!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Workshop knowledgebase.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

gabi81 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:38 am My nxt question where do i get the bearing kit to replace for linkage as guy i bought from a while bck doesnt do them anymore

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=41621#p453366
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

gabi81 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:38 am My nxt question where do i get the bearing kit to replace for linkage as guy i bought from a while bck doesnt do them anymore
The best thing is to get the bearings & seals from you local bearing factor.

Normaly as good or better than std bearings at less cost than going to a Honda dealer or Silvers.

If you can get the bearings & seals out without too much damage just take them in & they will match them.

Things like the spacers & nut's & bolts, if they need replacing will have to come from Honda or Silvers.

http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon/ ... k-absorber

4x 17. bearing. 17X24X20
1x 20. bearing. 17 x 24 x 25
6x 18. seal. 17X24X5

If your doing the swing arm bearings as well...

http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon/ ... 1/swingarm

16 & 17 +the seals.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

You'll need a good breaker bar to remove the swing arm nut. I was quite worried when I did mine - sure that something would shear but it didn't and cracked off after a lot of pressure.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Abba stand modified to pick up on the engine mounts for me, but how eve you do it the best advise like everyone has said - slacken off all the bolts before suspending the bike.
AMcQ