no idle on cold start, high idle on warm engine

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
firestormPH

no idle on cold start, high idle on warm engine

Post by firestormPH »

hi. ive been having this problem since I got the bike 5 mos ago.

Problem:
1. Low idle at cold start. Engine stalls if I let go of throttle.
2. High idle after engine warms up. RPM shoots up to 1900 after the middle of
the temp guage.

Soution tried to no avail:
1. Adjusted the idle screw.
If I adjust the screw on an already warmed engine (middle of the gauge onward) the idle will go down to 1300. This is ok until the next cold start, by then it will have no idle, engine will stall whenever I let go of throttle & this will continue until it warms (middle of the gauge onward). Its really hard to ride the bike with no idle! So I adjust it to 1300rpm while cold but it will shoot to 1900rpm after it warms.

2. Completely stripped & cleaned the carbs. Jets, needles, float evrything.
Previous owner removed the choke cables & fittings and covered the hole with epoxy.
Eureka! I know this might be the cause but you may know better guys.

3. Installed a hiflo standard filter.
Previous owner installed a DIY foam filter w/c was burned. This was fixed on carb cleaning.

Do I need to get a new carb or is there something i'm missing.
Thanx 4 d replies.

Bike still has ACT, PAIR, stock TPS and jettings.
Its a 98 model.
Wicky

Re: no idle on cold start, high idle on warm engine

Post by Wicky »

Greetings
Previous owner removed the choke cables & fittings and covered the hole with epoxy.
:thumbdown:
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Now why would someone epoxy the choke like that :confused That would be the cause of your problems but it begs the question what else has been done. Make sure you clean the old glue out properly and the choke is working freely as it should.
==============================Enter the Darkside
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

VTRDark wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:57 pm Now why would someone epoxy the choke like that :confused That would be the cause of your problems but it begs the question what else has been done. Make sure you clean the old glue out properly and the choke is working freely as it should.
Id guess the PO broke the plastic choke nut, had the carbs set a bit rich in a warmer climate area and decided he did not need chokes after all...... clearly a tw@ but there you have it.
Or it was as I like to say "slowed down for racing" like idiots that remove the entire air box and just toss on pod air filters, cuz thats how real racers do it.
Or maniacs that remove the return throttle cables and engine shut off switch and wiring ....oh wait, thats me......never mind I said that one :lol: .
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
==============================Enter the Darkside
firestormPH

Post by firestormPH »

thanks folks!

that b8stard might have broke the fittings and decided to take everything off and put steel epoxy on the hole.
now I have to get a new set of carb. I cant find a way to re install the choke plus he took all the cable out.

glad to have joined here, cheers!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Make sure ideally your replacement carbs come with the choke fittings, and remember to route the choke cables according to the Honda manual (downloadable in the workshop knowledgebase section)

Otherwise... http://ruggedroads.co.uk/epages/00cbb60 ... ducts/7005

OEM plastic one's of these probably broke leading to your woes
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts