Fork rebound adjusters

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jchesshyre

Fork rebound adjusters

Post by jchesshyre »

Since getting my bike repaired after a crash in May, which included replacement used forks, the damping adjusters on the forks have been really hard to turn, such that I struggle to turn them fully in for adjustment, when before I was able to turn them in to a full stop without much resistance. The mechanic said he took the fork tops off my damaged forks and put them in the new ones to keep the preload and rebound adjustment that I had, but what could he have potentially done wrong to make them so hard to turn?

I've now managed to b*gger up the slot on both of them because they're so tight so I'm looking for some new ones anyway, but what kind of assembly error should I look out for when I open the forks up?

*edit* and before you ask, I sold him the other set of top caps for some custom project he's doing so I can't just use those :think:
MacV2

Re: Fork rebound adjusters

Post by MacV2 »

Take it back to the ''mechanic...'' & tell him to sort out the wombles up he's made... :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

MacV2 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:55 pm Take it back to the ''mechanic...'' & tell him to sort out the fek up he's made... :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

I know that's what I should do, but I really can't be arsed leaving it with him again and want to examine the fork internals with my own eyes and hands.

They work fine, by the way. I'm just annoyed that the adjusters don't feel how they should and are now a bit mashed up.
popkat

Post by popkat »

That's crap from the "mechanic", you should wind the rebound in before taking the top off anyway, then reset them after rebuilding. And how hard is it the adjust the preload to what it was on the other forks..

I reckon he's left the rebound alone then done the fork top up to the damper rod, this will leave you no more clockwise adjustment.

Check the manual it should have a measurement for the thread showing below the damper rod nut, take the fork tops off and set the thread length then do it all up again. This will give you your adjustment range.. If your fully in now don't try to force it, you can cause damage that way.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
popkat

Post by popkat »

Hang on a minute, you said your old forks were damaged ?.. It could be that the damper rod is bent.. That won't help at all.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Hmmm well although he's done some (most) of the stuff to my bike very nicely there is the odd thing like this that's pissed me off a bit. Makes me suspicious as to why he wanted to buy the other pair of tops off me (from the replacement forks I bought)...

I think/hope the damper rods are unlikely to be bent as only one fork was bent and it was only slightly, on the stanchion. And this issue feels exactly the same on both forks. Or do they bend very easily? I see just the damper rod assemblies come up on the 'bay now and again so perhaps I'll need to start looking out for a pair. I'll open the forks up soon when I get a chance, maybe later this week.