Headlight

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Geeman

Headlight

Post by Geeman »

Hi there
I think i may have an issue with the headlight. Dipped beam is quite dim i think. Main doesnt seem to bad. When the dipped light is on the main beam blue light on the dash i think is very slightly illuminated.(dim)...when i put beam on the dash light goes brighter. Is there any way i can check the earth is good or where is the earth for the headlight so i can check it...any info would be appreciated...cheers.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Headlight

Post by sirch345 »

I'm not sure which the headlamp earth is exactly, but there are quite a few earth's on the Storm. If you've not already it might pay you to check what voltage you are getting at the battery terminals with the engine running. You should have a reading of between 13.5V and 15.5V with the headlight turned off.

Have you had anything powder coated recently :?:

Chris.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Fit relays, powered directly from the battery. The difference is huge. You suddenly have a usable headlight.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

sirch345 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:24 pm I'm not sure which the headlamp earth is exactly, but there are quite a few earth's on the Storm. If you've not already it might pay you to check what voltage you are getting at the battery terminals with the engine running. You should have a reading of between 13.5V and 15.5V with the headlight turned off.

Have you had anything powder coated recently :?:

Chris.
There are 8 grounds on the VTR, only 4 are by wire / terminal, and Only 1 is for the wiring harness common ground

The headlight grounds though the common wiring harness ground. the wiring harness ground is at the thermostat housing

http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php ... 62#p451287
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Start simple
Check bat voltage at the battery with engine on, and at about 3000 RPM.
If your not at 13.8 you could be with a good MOSFET RR and direct wiring.

Next, engine running, what is the voltage at the headlight plug using the pos and neg terminals. If not very close the the voltage at the battery in check one
Check voltage at the same plug but pos terminal and battery ground terminal if lower voltage, consider a headlight relay to bring max voltage to the headlight bulb.

(Note, you will find lower voltage, how much lower is to be seen, but anything less then true charging bat voltage is lowering headlight output. )
Geeman wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:18 pm Hi there
I think i may have an issue with the headlight. Dipped beam is quite dim i think. Main doesnt seem to bad. When the dipped light is on the main beam blue light on the dash i think is very slightly illuminated.(dim)...when i put beam on the dash light goes brighter. Is there any way i can check the earth is good or where is the earth for the headlight so i can check it...any info would be appreciated...cheers.
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

If the problem is with a dim low beam with the high beam indicator lighting, then there could be a short either within the high/low bar switch or at the headlight bulb connector. Would not surprise me if the high beam filament is also coming on as well but you just haven't noticed it.

The high and low beam power feeds go through different harness connectors (H=red connector, L=green connector) so I doubt there's a chance of a short there.

The headlight connector would be easier to inspect, I've had these melt before (Suzuki RF900) when I put a non-standard 100/55W bulb in there. After that try pulling the bar switch apart and giving a good shot of contact cleaner.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
Geeman

Post by Geeman »

Hi there
Thanks for the replies. When i bought the bike the headlight plug had melted so i have soldered a new one in.I have put a LED bulb in which works great but the beam will not come on at all so i will be taking the bar switch apart to inspect
Cheers