Spark plug socket

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jchesshyre

Spark plug socket

Post by jchesshyre »

Can anyone recommend a spark plug socket that's narrow enough to fit our bikes and has a rubber insert like the Honda one? I find the lateral and rotational play that's present in the shaft on the Honda one incredibly annoying when trying to torque the plugs up.
E.Marquez

Re: Spark plug socket

Post by E.Marquez »

I use a Snap On
Socket, Metric, Spark Plug, Shallow, 18 mm, 6-Point Item: S9711KA
S9706KA[1].jpg
S9706KA[1].jpg (64.97 KiB) Viewed 1710 times
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Note you cannot use any old 18mm deep socket as the outer circumference will be to big to fit down the hole. The Snap-On one is a dedicated plug socket and they are absolutely superb. Unfortunately I don't have one for the bike but I have Snap-On plug sockets with a built in universal swivel joint on the top for car plug sizes. For the bike I use a cheapie Hafords T handled jobbie. 12mm plug spanner is what you want. 12mm being the plug thread size but the hex socket part is 18mm. Hope that makes sense.
==============================Enter the Darkside
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Thanks lads, so would this do, pending purchase of a Snap On one http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/ ... t-bar-18mm ?

I kind of wanted to be able to use a torque wrench on them but maybe I should just go old-school and do 1/8-turn past hand-tight or 1/2-turn new.
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

jchesshyre wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:38 am Thanks lads, so would this do, pending purchase of a Snap On one http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/ ... t-bar-18mm ?

I kind of wanted to be able to use a torque wrench on them but maybe I should just go old-school and do 1/8-turn past hand-tight or 1/2-turn new.
It should work... and it "looks" like the T handle can be removed but pushing out the locking pin. Leaving you with a 3/8" drive spark plug socket with universal joint.. Allowing you to use a TQ wrench.

Make sure it is an appropriately sized and calibrated TQ wrench..that plug only gets tightened to 14Nm and in the aluminum head, not mush room for errors on overtightened.

Unless that is a smaller TQ wrench you really trust to be accurate and repeatable on TQ.. Id suggest snugging them up by hand..

Not trying to crap on your plan to use a TQ wrench to tighten the plugs....just know Ive repaired as many pulled threads for blokes who used a crappy TQ wrench as I have blokes that overtightened by hand
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That's the jobbie but it's an 18mm...you need 12mm they do those too in the store. Visually double check the size as I can't remember if they sell by the thread size as they should or the socket size. Unfortunately the T handle is fixed. Be on the safe side and tighten by hand. There really is no need to be so critical with torque on plugs, why take the risk.
==============================Enter the Darkside
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Already bought it and used it - it's perfect!