Front cylinder cam timing slightly off

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jchesshyre

Front cylinder cam timing slightly off

Post by jchesshyre »

When I did my valves recently I noticed that the cam timing on my front cylinder is slightly retarded, but not by a whole tooth. In order to get the FI and FE marks perfectly aligned with the cylinder head the FT mark on the crankshaft is a few mm ahead of the mark, i.e. the cam is very slightly behind. It's not because they're out by a tooth because when I tried adjusting them one tooth forward it made them much further out of alignment.

The rear cylinder is perfect, totally spot on.

Is it possible to loosen the cam sprockets and adjust them slightly to rectify this? And is it anything to worry about? The bike runs very well but this still bothers me and I assume it would run better still with this timing totally lined up.
alanfjones1411

Re: Front cylinder cam timing slightly off

Post by alanfjones1411 »

If it's running alright I would leave it and put it down to cam chain stretching.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Common issue with used cam chains, as they wear the timing goes further and further off.
Can you adjust cam timing? YES, but its not a uncomplicated task and best left to those that have done it before, have the special tools needed.
A novice will likely do more harm than good trying to just "move them"
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

my rear is the same, about a half tooth out on the exhaust cam... if its running step away and leave it. as said its prob camchain stretch.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Yeah, I'd assumed it was down to cam chain stretch, but it just struck me as odd that the rear cylinder is perfect but the front is out. I guess I'll change the cam chain once it gets far out enough to worry about...