Headlight Bulb replacement

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
grumpyfrog

Headlight Bulb replacement

Post by grumpyfrog »

So, After running around Dumfries with no main beam, was more of an issue coming home in the pissing rain, I was sure that the bulb had blown as the full beam was still working.
Decided to pull the light out without reading up on here first;
It's only a bulb!!!!!
Out came the connector, off came the rubber sleeve, off came the retaining clip, bugger that should only have moved, out came the bulb. no problems.

Inspected the bulb, looks ok.
Stuck bulb in connector. all working... (first realization that this was going to be bad)

Now for hindsight....
1. check the connector before you take anything apart.
2. check here first
2.1. remove the fairing if you need to replace the bulb.
3. check here first before spending 3 hours trying to get that freckin clip back into place whilst working by touch only.
3.1. CHECK HERE FIRST BEFORE DOING ANYTHING THAT MAY BE THE EASYEST THING IN THE WORLD (in my simple mind).

I'm still not sure that the clip is in correct as the bulb moves slightly in the headlight if I wiggle the connector.
Still got to go do up all the fasteners but I was that pissed of a bottle or 2 got opened.....
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
MacV2

Re: Headlight Bulb replacement

Post by MacV2 »

Hahaha yeah simple job...can be done in situ but bloody fiddly...

Still at least you didn't drop the bulb into the headlight trying to do it...Then you have to take the fairing off...been there done that... :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

if I can do it with my fat hands, anyone can, as mac said fiddly but do-able.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Forget the bulb...have another drink :beer:

Have you got the clip the right way around. Its a U shape and the U bit sits in a groove and kinda of hinges and then you get the ends of the U (prongs) squeeze them together and they hook under and into little grooves around the outside of the bulb. Hope that makes sense, it's hard to describe.
==============================Enter the Darkside
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

No need to take the fairing off completely - just put a towel on the front mudguard, undo the bolts and mirrors, headlamp and sidelight connectors, bend back flexible retainers for surplus indicator wiring) (and if you have em the fiddly damn placcy panel screw plug fings) and drop the fairing assembly onto the towel to gain access to the bulb.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts