Valve noise/lash measurements

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Honeybadgerted

Valve noise/lash measurements

Post by Honeybadgerted »

Howdy Y'all. I'm no newbie to bikes, but this is my first V-twin, so I'd like to bounce some info off you all and see what you think. I do have the shop manual for the bike, and I just spent 12 hours in an airport/plane flying cross country reading the thing cover to cover (wifi wasn't working on the plane). I just got my 98 VTR earlier this month. Picked it up cheap off of a guy because it wouldn't run. I wouldn't have normally bought a bike not running, but I could see before I got it that the vacuum line on the fuel shutoff wasn't connected...as soon as i got home i connected it and she fired right up!

Long story short, she has 36xxx miles on her, runs and rides great, and fires up on the first try if my dumba** remembers to turn the kill switch on! I noticed a ticking from what sounded like the front cylinder while riding so due to the age and unknown maintenance schedule, I tore down for a valve lash inspection. My measurements for the front cylinder were 0.012" for both of the exhaust valves, and 0.006 and 0.005 for the intake. The rear cylinder was 0.007 and 0.008 for the intake, and 0.013 and 0.014 for the exhaust. The service manual says 0.006" and 0.012" for the valves, and it doesn't give a range. Do they need to be right at 0.006 and 0.012, or is there a +- i need to be within? Also, these measurements don't seem loose enough to cause a bunch of valve train noise so is there something else i should be inspecting while I have the covers off? I bought some MCCTs from Krieger and i'll be putting them on this week when I get them (I read the couple horror stories and I don't want to take any chances. 70 bucks is cheap insurance for the motor), but i want to check anything else that may be a culprit before reassembly. Oh, and I removed all the PAIR crap.

Sorry for the long post...
fabiostar

Re: Valve noise/lash measurements

Post by fabiostar »

first off is it only when riding or will it do it when you are stopped just revving it?
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Check for leaky exhaust manifold / link pipe seals. Parts No. 2 and 6

http://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces- ... STORM.html
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Honeybadgerted

Post by Honeybadgerted »

I was definitely louder while riding. I don't remember how loud it was at idle, or while revving it. i won't be firing her back up until the MCCTs go in tuesday.
Honeybadgerted

Post by Honeybadgerted »

I think that my original CCTs were on their way out. After i put the manual ones in it is a lot quieter. There is still some noise, which I am trying to track down, but itll have to wait. I went out to start the bike and let her warm up a little before work...and she wouldn't start! All I got was a click. Piss. I guess I know what I am doing tomorrow.