Link pipe observations

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
mik_str

Link pipe observations

Post by mik_str »

As some of you may know, I am running an Akrapovic full system on my VTR. I am fortunate to have tracked down a set of high-mount link pipes (came with low-mounts when I bought it), which means I have both high and mount set-ups. I have been running the high-mount mostly since getting them, the thought being that the slightly longer link pipes (about 4-5 inches longer) should improve low and mid power at the cost of top-end. I very seldom run my VTR close to redline, so the choice was obvious. However, I am looking at taking a passenger and so need to get the low-mounts back on. All this is to set the table for some jetting effect differences between the two set-ups. I run Flo-Commanders on both the main and pilot circuits, so jetting fine tuning is only the turn of a screwdriver away. Having swapped from the high-mounts to lows, I had to enrich the pilot circuit slightly and lean out the mains, which tells me it doesn't scavenge as well at low speed (thus creating less vacuum and pulling less fuel from same setting) while the opposite is true at the top end (more vacuum, so need to remove fuel). (PS: I edited as the explanation was backwards... sorry)

A long winded story to share an interesting observation. So, anyone going from low to highs or vice versa should expect to make some minor jetting changes.

cheers
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
mik_str

Re: Link pipe observations

Post by mik_str »

In case anyone is curious about what both set-ups look like, here you go:
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
podman

Re: Link pipe observations

Post by podman »

Observations are all well and good but you cant beat some dyno set up time, no two bikes are the same, especially after a decade + worth of wear and tear.