Carb springs?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
sirch345
Site Admin

Carb springs?

Post by sirch345 »

Is it possible to remove the Storm's long carb springs with the carbs still fitted does anyone know :?:

Also any tips on refitting the springs would be very helpful too :D

Chris.
VTRDark

Re: Carb springs?

Post by VTRDark »

You can definitely get to the rear one in situ but I would not advice it unless your used to putting the springs back in place. Best to do them with the carb's off the bike. Remove the caps slowly as in manually release the pressure off the springs to remove and don't pull the cap off too fast or the spring will fly out somewhere and you will be hunting it down, but don't release too slowly as sometimes the spring can bend and kind of twist and tangle itself up. That is a real pain as you have to untangle the spring where it's tied itself in knots. So remove the cap in a controlled way.

The easiest way to put the springs back in is to hold the carbs in an upward position between your knees while sitting down with the cap face on top. Use a smear of grease around the lip of the carbs where the diaphragm sits so it stays in place and does not get pinched by the cap when replacing. Install the needle, washers and diaphragm. Place the spring inside the cap and slowly compress it down into the middle of the cap, then hold the spring in place (compressed) with your forefingers holding the spring in and your thumbs on the outside of the cap. It's important to use both fingers on either side of the spring or it will pop on sideways and try to bend pop out and could tangle itself.

Slowly place the cap down and over the carb and get your forefingers as close as you can over the centre of the slide diaphragm and release the spring squarely into position, pop the cap on and hold in place ready to put the screws back in. Before putting the screws back in give the cap a little jiggle and make sure that it's seated correctly and the diaphragm has not been pinched at the edges. Move the slide up and down a couple of times and release to make sure it moves as it should. You should hear the vacuum. Then put the screws back into the cap.

Hope that makes sense. Are you putting new springs in. You will be amazed by the difference in length compared to the old ones.
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hey that's great :thumbup: many thanks Carl for taking the time to post that, very helpful :D

I'm on a bit of a mission if the truth be known :lol:

Since carrying out the Renthal flat bar handlebar conversion I have noticed my bike is making a rather odd noise/sound. It's a job to explain it and I can't see it has anything to do with the handlebar conversion :lol: but that was when I first started to hear it. I had been hoping to get a recording of it before posting up, so far I've not been able to do that as it's not happening all the time.

This odd sound only appears to happen once the engine is really warmed up, and you can only hear it out on the road when the throttle is closed and braking, for example in slowing down when coming to a T junction etc. When it is making this sound if I open the throttle very slightly if disappears. When this sound can be heard it's an on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off sound, not a constant sound.

What I have checked so far is valve clearances replacing 3 shims and double checked the valve timing. I have also removed the Scorpion cans and link pipes and re-sealed the link pipe joints as it was popping and banging more than usual on the overrun. This has reduced the popping and banging a lot although not completey. The headers don't seem to be leaking at the cylinders, although I have not checked the joint between the swingarm yet.

Back to the carbs, I was wondering if a spring could have broken making a carb slide jump around when the throttle is closed, clutching at straws probably :) Iirc I think some have said the carb slides can wear, although I hardly think 31,000 miles would be enough for that :?:

So that's about it really, the bike seems to be going very well, I just like to know the cause any new sounds :)
If I can get a recording I will post it up.

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

You can get a bit of chatter as the slides bounce around with worn springs but I think that may be a long shot. You should be able to hear that at a standstill and give the bike a good rev. Still no harm in investigating. It gives you the chance to also make sure the carbs are seated tightly. Don't bother trying to undo the choke cable at the carbs while on the bike as there's a good chance of snapping one of the plastic nuts unless you can get you fingers in and pull the rubber elbow of the end of the plastic nuts so they don't have any resistance and can spin freely. Loosen the choke knob at the frame, slide it out the mount and feed the cable through the two small water hoses along with the carb's. The same when putting them back, feed the choke cable back through.

When the throttle is closed and under engine braking is when the CCT springs mostly go. Are you sure they are are OK. Mind you as you have the stopper mod and have experienced that before you most likely know what that's like.
==============================Enter the Darkside
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I had a stopper spacer on the front cct that rattled on the idle and overrun. It was hollow ally tube and was wearing its self down till it had room to rattle. Replaced with solid steel bar and it is ok now
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

VTRDark wrote:You can get a bit of chatter as the slides bounce around with worn springs but I think that may be a long shot. You should be able to hear that at a standstill and give the bike a good rev. Still no harm in investigating. It gives you the chance to also make sure the carbs are seated tightly. Don't bother trying to undo the choke cable at the carbs while on the bike as there's a good chance of snapping one of the plastic nuts unless you can get you fingers in and pull the rubber elbow of the end of the plastic nuts so they don't have any resistance and can spin freely. Loosen the choke knob at the frame, slide it out the mount and feed the cable through the two small water hoses along with the carb's. The same when putting them back, feed the choke cable back through.

When the throttle is closed and under engine braking is when the CCT springs mostly go. Are you sure they are are OK. Mind you as you have the stopper mod and have experienced that before you most likely know what that's like.
Thanks for the tip's Carl, and for your thoughts on what it could possibly be :thumbup:

Yes I'm pretty much up on what a CCT sounds like when a CCT spring starts to get weak, the slapping of a camchain in the camchain tunnel :) This sound is different, so I don't think it's something to do with a CCT.
AMCQ46 wrote:I had a stopper spacer on the front cct that rattled on the idle and overrun. It was hollow ally tube and was wearing its self down till it had room to rattle. Replaced with solid steel bar and it is ok now
Thanks for your suggestion too Al :thumbup:
I have steel bar in there same as you now, I did have an alloy spacer in there originally although not hollow. I only found out steel was the answer after the front CCT failed, then riding the bike 15 or so miles home on the stopper only. The alloy spacer took a good beating :)

Chris.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Chris,
I had no problem taking the carb tops off and adjusting the needles whilst the carbs are still on the bike.
My method was very simular to Carls except I used a long screwdriver and put it down the middle of the spring. I could then compress the whole spring back up into the cap and the screwdriver stopped the sping jumping sideways and getting in a knot. Once the sping was up inside the cap I kept my fingers over the end of the cap recess and pulled the screwdrive back out.
Then I aligned the the spring recess with the diphragm and slide and fired the spring back down into the slide. It gets a bit trickier here because you have to hold the cap and the slide together whilst inserting it back down into the carb.
I found it easiest if I stuck a finger down the carb throat to stop the slide and needle from closing fully. The best solution for me, with one hand, align the needle with the emulsion tube whilst keeping the slide full open. With the other hand, (have the diaphragm already looking like a mushroom) lower the cap whilst keeping the diapragm as full mushroom shaped as possible. Then once it's aligned up with the seal recess you can press down on the cap and make the seal (resisting the spring all the time). Once the cap is down you can release the pressure on the slide and let it close.
I hope you have the cap screws nearby because now you need to fasten down the cap, carefully not to pinch the diaphragm seal.
Once you are happy with the way it looks a quick lifting and releasing of the carb slide will tell you if the diapragm is seated correctly. You should be able to hear it moving some air in and out of the vacuum tubes.

Happy Rattle Hunting :thumbup: They can be anoying little things to track down sometimes :thumbup:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Many thanks Pete for taking the time to post that :thumbup: Another really helpful post :D

I can see holding the carbs between your knees in a vertical position like Carl suggested to be easier fitting the springs, although also good to know it can be done with the carbs fitted. If the worst happens I can always remove them if needed,

Chris.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
:D
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I finally got out on the VTR yesterday, the mission was to try and record this odd sound coming from the bike. I made 4 or 5 recordings at different times and felt sure I had managed to capture it on at least one of the recordings when the sound was quite loud I thought.
However the sound was not picked up by my little recorder :Mad2: which was rather frustrating :thumbdown:
Amazing really how I could hear it through my crash helmet and ear plugs, but not on my recording.

Oh well I'll have to try something else I guess,

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Is it perhaps something loose inside your crash helmet?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote:Is it perhaps something loose inside your crash helmet?
Funny you should say that, the same thought did go through my mind. Although I'm fairly sure it's not that, seeing as you brought that up as well, I will use a another crash helmet next time I get out.

Thanks Tony for trying to help :thumbup:

Do you remember that advert on TV with the VW golf that had a squeak :?: it was the girls earring that needed oiling :lol:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I have now finally got an audio recording of this sound I've been mentioning, hurrah.

Link here to new thread:- viewtopic.php?f=7&t=41342&p=450117#p450117

Chris.