VTR won't start

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
STJ1981

VTR won't start

Post by STJ1981 »

Hoping someone in here can help.

A couple of weeks back, I turned the VTR off and went back to it after about 10 minutes. It wouldn't start. Instead it was clicking continuously like it had a dodgy starter or something like that. There was a noticeable vibration coming from the starter relay whilst it was trying to fire.

Wouldn't fire up at all so I bumped it then took it home. By the time I got home, there was nothing on the starter button when I tried it. Not even the clicking.

I've replaced the starter relay and that hasn't solved the issue. All battery connections are perfect and there's plenty of life in the battery. Lights come on etc but it doesn't even make an attempt to fire.

Am I missing something? Is there something else in the ignition sequence I should be checking? Anybody had this problem before? There is an inline fuse leading up to the starter relay - that is fine too.

Any help would be appreciated
MacV2

Re: VTR won't start

Post by MacV2 »

Nothing on the button ? That then sounds like a dead battery. Check your battery to see if it has any charge in it, if not than could be the R/R has gone AWOL.

I had one die on me whilst riding, it would start on a jump & a bump but only ran for so long before giving up the ghost as there wasn't enough juice to keep it running.

Turned out a bodged conection on a replacement R/R had parted so just no electrickery going into the R/R or coming out of it either...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
STJ1981

Post by STJ1981 »

MacV2 wrote:Nothing on the button ? That then sounds like a dead battery. Check your battery to see if it has any charge in it, if not than could be the R/R has gone AWOL.

I had one die on me whilst riding, it would start on a jump & a bump but only ran for so long before giving up the ghost as there wasn't enough juice to keep it running.

Turned out a bodged conection on a replacement R/R had parted so just no electrickery going into the R/R or coming out of it either...
Battery is fine mate. First thing I checked. What's the R/R?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

How do you know the battery is 'good'?

How old is it?

For this test you'll need a fully working battery > Regulator Rectifier Charging System Diagnosis Checks > viewtopic.php?f=31&t=28771

R/R > viewtopic.php?f=23&t=31345#p304638

Also look under the rubber hood on the starter motor for corrosion on the terminal bolt.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
STJ1981

Post by STJ1981 »

Wicky wrote:How do you know the battery is 'good'?

How old is it?

For this test you'll need a fully working battery > Regulator Rectifier Charging System Diagnosis Checks > viewtopic.php?f=31&t=28771

R/R > viewtopic.php?f=23&t=31345#p304638

Also look under the rubber hood on the starter motor for corrosion on the terminal bolt.
Thanks Buddy. Will also try this.

Battery is around 6 weeks old. I tried the bike on Jump Leads too just to be sure but still nothing.