Fireblade fork swap

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
CraigVTR

Fireblade fork swap

Post by CraigVTR »

Hi Guys, I'm new to the storm and am after a bit of help and advice if possible?

I'm looking at doing a fork swap on my storm to 1998 fireblade (918) Right way up forks. Now I'd really like to retain the storm front wheel to keep them matching front and rear, plus I like the subtle approach to modifying. I will also upgrade the calipers to those from an early injected blade, 929 or 959 ect with master cylinder to match.

Now I know the axles are at the very least the same diameter, what I'm looking to find out is...
1. Do I need to use a blade axle for a different length with the 918 legs.
2. Will I need different discs (If so what model should I be looking at taking them from),
3. And last of all will I need custom spacers machined up?

Many thanks for anyone's help and advice!
StuartWags

Re: Fireblade fork swap

Post by StuartWags »

mine was already done when i got the bike, so i can really answer all the questions but if you are anywhere near spalding area you are welcome to have a look at the end result .
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

congratulations on you first post by the way
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

If you switch to 1998 forks you will need the entire front end as nothing transfers over. Going to a 95-96 set-up allows you transfer most components over (ie. axle, wheel, rotors) As for calipers, the 98 Blade calipers are the same as the 929 and SP1 units, save for the colour.
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Welcome to the forum
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mik_str wrote:If you switch to 1998 forks you will need the entire front end as nothing transfers over. Going to a 95-96 set-up allows you transfer most components over (ie. axle, wheel, rotors) As for calipers, the 98 Blade calipers are the same as the 929 and SP1 units, save for the colour.
I agree, the earlier forks will be the better option, as in less parts needed and more of the original Storm ones will fit.

Shaun Pallister use to have info on his site which is no longer available. It list what you need for a 96/97 Blade fork conversion for the Storm, see below:-
I'm sure he won't mind me listing it to help a fellow Stormer, well I hope he doesn't:-

Chris.
CraigVTR

Post by CraigVTR »

Awesome guys thanks ever so much for the info so far, massive help already and I really appreciate it! Do the earlier forks still have comp and rebound damping adjustability as this is what I'm ideally looking for so I can get suspension setups fettled.

What year 955 mudguard should I be looking at or is there various options as to year of model?
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I wouldn't bother tbh .
Just get your forks sorted as it's cheaper and will work better
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Craig, do you really need separated comp and rebound damping?
What problems are you having with the front end at present?
Have you already replaced the oil and seals?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

definitely get the Triumph fender (it's what I had when I ran these forks; the Honda unit is hideous!)
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
CraigVTR

Post by CraigVTR »

The reason I'd like a sorted setup front and rear is that coming from 2 generations of a racing background I like to have a lot of trust and faith in my motorcycles, and working on motorcycles on a daily basis I understand that off the shelf units are built and set up to suit the masses, not the individual.

I don't necessarily have to have split comp/rebound adjustment but it would make track days a bit more interesting to play with over a set cartridge kit. However I like to explore all options of possibility before committing to an idea. Ultimately what I want to achieve is a storm that looks fairly factory standard to the brief glance, but to the trained eye is a very trick capable and underestimated bike. Hence why I've decided to come to you guys who know these bikes better than I do for some creative input and idea's.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Forget the rwp blade front end as the rsv full front end is miles better
CraigVTR

Post by CraigVTR »

lloydie wrote:Forget the rwp blade front end as the rsv full front end is miles better Image
I take it this is a full front end transplant? How do you get around any steering stop ignition lock and different wheel issues?
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

And different stems and bearings
Full front end swap with some machining but worth it
CraigVTR

Post by CraigVTR »

Okay so update on what's going on with this, I said stuff it to the RWU fireblade forks and ended up obtaining a set of USD's at a bargain price from a 2003 rr3 blade. They have even had the cracking stansion recall completed!

This is an entire front end and the spoke pattern even matches up pretty well to the VTR, the hardest bit (which is actually about as difficult as making a brew) is nibbling a bit of face off the front of the steering stops to allow clearance for the clock mount bracket on the storm. Stick a set of riser clipons over the forks and it's pretty much a straight swap.

So if anyone wants to know the components used to achieve this don't hesitate to ask!

Happy storming guys!