Mid MCCT Job - Rounded Head

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
VTRDark

Re: Mid MCCT Job - Rounded Head

Post by VTRDark »

All looking good, I see you have sealant around the locknut and along the threaded bar :thumbup: As for the paper gasket it shouldn't make a difference which way around it is as long as both mating surfaces are smooth and clean from debris you should be fine.
==============================Enter the Darkside
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

If you plan on doing more DIY (and in my opinion, that is the best reason to own an older bike) then do yourself a favour, and buy a torque wrench, even a really cheap one. A small investment, but will save you from destroying fasteners/thread, and give peace of mind that you have done the nut up "right".

I now have a big manly 1/2" drive (up to 250 N-m)that does the big stuff like axle nuts, a medium size 3/8" drive (20-100 N-m IIRC) for general use and I also have a small /14" drive that goes up to 25 N-m, for smaller jobs like spark plugs. If you don't have matching sockets to suit the different drives you can buy adaptors that let you use 1/2" sockets on a 3/8" drive.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

well done big man on the work. i was/am in the same boat with learning about these engines and when you get it right theres no better feeling :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Brapscallion

Post by Brapscallion »

Thanks gents! :thumbup: Was out of my comfort zone by the carb trumpets, so it was all downhill from there really! :lol:

sirch345 wrote: Remember to turn the engine over by hand a good few turns before pressing the start button, just to make sure all the valves clear the pistons.

Good luck,

Chris.
Thanks for the heads up! Would it be obvious that the valves weren't clearing my pistons?

Does it matter which way round the engine's cranked?

VTRDark wrote:All looking good, I see you have sealant around the locknut and along the threaded bar :thumbup: As for the paper gasket it shouldn't make a difference which way around it is as long as both mating surfaces are smooth and clean from debris you should be fine.
Yeah, sealant in there, and surfaces were both silky smooth for the new paper gasket to sit onto. :angel:
Rear CCT.
Rear CCT.
20170620_102701.jpg (3.04 MiB) Viewed 2103 times
Front CCT.
Front CCT.
20170620_124244.jpg (3.3 MiB) Viewed 2103 times
Cadbury64 wrote:If you plan on doing more DIY then do yourself a favour, and buy a torque wrench, even a really cheap one. A small investment, but will save you from destroying fasteners/thread, and give peace of mind that you have done the nut up "right".
Definitely on the Christmas list mate! :thumbup: Know just the feeling, and don't have the muscle memory to be able guess at the feel for correct torque by hand! :? :mrgreen:

Shameful to say that this happened moments after refitting the cam covers... :oops:
Sheared bolt.
Sheared bolt.
20170620_121959.jpg (3.19 MiB) Viewed 2103 times
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Doh....Now that looks like the IIRC 8mm bolt, that holds the petcock diaphragm bracket onto the frame on later model VTR's. You should be able to use a centre punch or or large nail and a hammer to tap the old bit of thread out of the frame anticlockwise to remove it.

Turn the engine over manually from the crankshaft anticlockwise a couple of turns. It should all be okay unless you have messed up the timing badly. You would soon know if there was a problem as it would not turn and you would feel the pressure of valve meeting piston. Don't try to force it if you feel this.....not to be confused with the compression pressure/resistance as the crank turns over the high point. This is simply a safety check before you start the engine.
==============================Enter the Darkside
Brapscallion

Post by Brapscallion »

That's the one, Dark. Thankfully not a critical component!

Alright then, have some free time available this afternoon so will see how far we get in the reassembly :). Cheers!
Brapscallion

Post by Brapscallion »

How, in the name of Christ, are you meant to get the airbox back onto the front breather and air hoses? :redface
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Easy peasy. I little bit of lube on the front hose. Then thread your hand through the front and hold it.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Brapscallion

Post by Brapscallion »

Well, it took me a LONG time to get the front breather hose on, but it's there.

The bike is back together and started up fine, but I have a fuel leak :/. Petcock is dry and no leaks around it or the fuel line, but am getting a good bit of fuel coming out of the bottom of the bike. Any ideas where I have gone wrong? :?:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Is it coming from the tank overflow hose which exits nr the belly pan?

Is it a small dribble or continuous?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Brapscallion

Post by Brapscallion »

Also no petrol around the carb rubbers, fuel just seems to be coming straight out of a hose at the bottom, but only when the bike is running.
Marked with tape.
Marked with tape.
20170623_165751.jpg (3.74 MiB) Viewed 2075 times
Brapscallion

Post by Brapscallion »

Contunous, when bike is running, stops when bike is not running. Fair amount of fluid coming out too, not just drips.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Track the hose back to its source under the tank to see if it's the breather or tank overflow hose
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Wicky wrote:Track the hose back to its source under the tank to see if it's the breather or tank overflow hose
The fat one of the two is the overflow. The smaller one with the white conector at the tank end is the breather.

Has the bike been standing a long time ? it could be the floats in the carbs are stuck. When the engine runs the vac on the pet rock opens it to let fule flow to the carbs, if the floats are stuck the carbs will overfill.

As said trace the hoses back find out which one the fule is coming out of is attached to...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Brapscallion

Post by Brapscallion »

Cheers for the info, will trace the culprit down the rabbit hole and see where it leads. :lol:
MacV2 wrote: Has the bike been standing a long time ?
Bike's only been standing a week, so not very long at all.