indicator issue

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
agentpineapple

indicator issue

Post by agentpineapple »

i'm trying to get my friends bike ready for it's Spanish version of an mot.
he hasn't got oem indi's, but they seem to be fairly standard wiring, bullet connectors and so on.
the lhs works fine. but there's an issue with the rhs, they both light up, but they stay on permanently (not flashing) until you cancel them.
so I know both bulbs work, but even so, I swapped them with some new ones, this made no difference.
what's my next option?
lhs switchgear maybe needs cleaning or replacing
maybe the indi relay. although I can't see it being that, as the lhs works.
maybe wiring issue.
has anyone else had a similar issue?
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
tony.mon

Re: indicator issue

Post by tony.mon »

Assuming that some bright spark hasn't replaced a lamp type bulb with an LED type....
Check the earth return on both indy's on that side.
If they light up the feed side is ok, if they stay on but the other side flashes it isn't the relay.
A poor earth will light them up but not give enough current draw to operate the relay.
I'd think that only one is earthed properly.
Check by removing the earth side lead in one then the other, if I'm right one will stay on with one disconnected but with the other earth disconnected they will both go out.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

thanks for the reply tony
I figured it out in the end, the po did some dodgy wiring which included an aftermarket indi relay, that's what's given up the ghost.
i'll be fitting oem indi's and relay to it in the very near future...... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
j4weeson

Post by j4weeson »

tony.mon wrote:Assuming that some bright spark hasn't replaced a lamp type bulb with an LED type....
Stupid question but... can i replace the OE indicators with the smaller LED type? I assume i would need to change the relay as well. I want to change mine and all the smaller Indi's are the led type

cheers
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

yes you will need a new flasher relay
AMcQ