Clutch cover compatibility

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jchesshyre

Clutch cover compatibility

Post by jchesshyre »

As some may know I'm in the process of rebuilding my bike after a crash.

I bought an as-new clutch cover on eBay with part number 11330-MBB-D40 which comes up as being for 2001 and 2002 bikes.

Mine is a 1997 and the clutch cover is listed as 11330-MBB-020. The mechanic has just phoned me saying it looks as if there's an oil feed to the water pump on the old cover which isn't present on the new one. (or possibly vice versa, I can't quite remember!).

Does anyone know if these covers are interchangeable? I'd be rather surprised if they were if the oil feeds are different but I could have sworn I've read posts saying they are compatible.
jchesshyre

Re: Clutch cover compatibility

Post by jchesshyre »

...it's coming back to me...the later models had a little drain pipe on whereas the older ones didn't...perhaps he's confusing this with an oil feed pipe? I reeeeally hope I don't have to find a different cover :redface
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

It's fine just fit it .
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

:lol: I think he did today. I just got scared for a bit that I'd been sent a Varadero cover even though the listing had that photo of a part number sticker.

Turns out the pulse generator rotor is broken but they seem to only be £11. Looks like I may have to fork out £40 for a new mechanical seal for the water pump as well though.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Early clutch cover has a simple hole to allow coolant to safely overflow instead of getting into crankcase oil if theres a problem with waterpump gasket while the later one has a spiggot.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Thanks lads : ) I was just panicking as I'm getting impatient now to get the bike back and thought this was another rather large hurdle.

Went to look at the bike at the weekend and the pulse generator rotor isn't broken at all – as we know it just looks like that! He said he'd never seen one looking like that before (like a cog with teeth missing).

Just waiting on water pump seals to arrive on Tuesday, then, fingers crossed, bike should be back on the road at the end of this week.

FYI (as I discovered when trying to obtain the clutch cover), the clutch cover for the Varadero is actually the same as the Firestorm's, but the water pump cover isn't.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

happy days tho you are getting close.. :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: