Sprockets and chain replacement

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
ebenviljoen

Sprockets and chain replacement

Post by ebenviljoen »

Evening gents, i have been thinking and doing some research on when you have to replace your sprockets and chain, but I still feel lost.
Sprockets are obvious when they need changing, but the chain is another thing, I think it can be quite a tough one to judge for people like myself with very little knowledge. I also understand that its a good idea to replace the whole system, chain and sprockets.
I have checked my chain before a blast out on Wednesday and it was a little loose, so adjusted it. The manual says that when on the side stand there should be between 30-40mm play. But I have hight level link pipes and my chain hangs on it when On the stand, so I cant really get an acurate measurement, not sure if this is the case with standard pipes?
So sitting on the bike I tried to put as much weight as possible on the bike reaching down to make sure there is still some movement not putting to much strain on the chain. But with me sitting on the bike, how much play should be in the chain? Surely in general this will depend on the weight of the individual as to how much slack should be when the bike is on its side stand? Im a heavy lad, 18 1/2 stone so really the slack should be more than a 8 stone person?
Looking at the indicators on the side, my chain is still OK to use, however, I run a 43 sprocket on the rear, so surely that will use more chain thus making these adjuster marks redundant? Please correct me if I am wrong because I dont know.
Then with the bike on the side stand ive pulled the chain away from the rear sprocket and there is a little gap, what is the maximum movement you can have at this point between the chain and sprocket? My rear sprocket is in real good condition, only done about 4k miles. Front sprocket is also in very good condition.
I dont know how old my chain is, I have owned the bike for 5 years and have done about 8k, it looked pretty good when I bought it and have looked after it as I really dont want it snapping when pushing it.
Is there any length of time a chain is good for? And am I correct to say a chain is generally good for about 20k miles?
I have also read about 16 and 21 pin measurements but with the chain on the bike this in itself is a little difficult too, but even if it is possible, what measurement are you looking for?
I really dont think that we are given enough info as to when to change the chain as I think my chain is near its life, but according to the indicators on the side its still OK.
So sorry for the very stupid questions and essay, but I am really confused. :think:
Eben
fabiostar

Re: Sprockets and chain replacement

Post by fabiostar »

there isnt stupid questions,but lots of stupid amswers :thumbup: .. if it were mine i would be changing the chain at that age..running a larger rear sprocket will also bring your chain closer to the link pipes. as you say 30/40 mm to me seems a bit slack esp as you have the linkpipe/sprocket thing going on..
if you can pull the chain away from the rear sprocket and see daylight behind it.for the price of a chain i would change.

its well nasty when they break.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Sprockets and chain replacement

Post by sirch345 »

ebenviljoen wrote: Looking at the indicators on the side, my chain is still OK to use, however, I run a 43 sprocket on the rear, so surely that will use more chain thus making these adjuster marks redundant? Please correct me if I am wrong because I dont know.

Eben
You are spot on there, unless whoever fitted the 43 tooth rear sprocket removed the adjuster mark stickers and placed them in the correct position on the swingarm your reading will not count as you thought. One of the best ways to check a chain and sprockets for wear is as you have done. Seeing if you can lift it off the sprocket, the rear one as you have tried is the best one to try this on, check it at the 3 o'clock position of a clock face. Seeing as the sprockets are known to be not that worn it sounds like (with the gap your chain had between the rear sprocket, you chain does have some wear in it.

I agree with Fabio, not stupid questions at all.
ebenviljoen wrote: Sprockets are obvious when they need changing, but the chain is another thing, I think it can be quite a tough one to judge for people like myself with very little knowledge. I also understand that its a good idea to replace the whole system, chain and sprockets.
I have checked my chain before a blast out on Wednesday and it was a little loose, so adjusted it. The manual says that when on the side stand there should be between 30-40mm play. But I have hight level link pipes and my chain hangs on it when On the stand, so I cant really get an acurate measurement, not sure if this is the case with standard pipes?
I usually run my chain between 30-40mm play and it is very close to my high level link pipe (Scorpions), but it doesn't touch the link pipe when rolling the bike out of the garage, I'm not 100% sure if it touches when the bike is on the side stand. The main thing is once you're on board the slack in the chain is reduced anyway as you have already worked out.

Yes replacing both sprockets and chain together is recommended, so they all wear at the same rate,

Chris.