Can standard bar ends be used with Renthal bars...and other questions!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
redhot

Can standard bar ends be used with Renthal bars...and other questions!

Post by redhot »

I've got a CNC Topyokes kit on order for my 2006 VTR and I intend fitting Renthal Superbike Ultra Low bars. So, a few questions:

1. Do the Ultra Low bars clear the tank without problems? I realise that the fairing will need some trimming.
2. Will I be able to re-use the standard bar ends in the Renthal bars? Or do I need some Renthal bar ends?
3. Will the horn wiring need to be extended? I note the similar LSL product comes with a wiring extender.
4. Are the bar grips likely to come off undamaged or should I reckon on getting matching Renthal grips?
5. Assuming I'll need to change the grips, what is the best adhesive?

Apologies if these questions have been raised in the past - I have searched without finding anything!
AMCQ46

Re: Can standard bar ends be used with Renthal bars...and other questions!

Post by AMCQ46 »

answers from my experience but I had home made yoke, not CNC

1. Do the Ultra Low bars clear the tank without problems? I realise that the fairing will need some trimming. - yes they clear the tank, but you have to set the tilt so you avoid the tank if tilted back and don't hit the faring or mirror if tilted forwards. on my bike the starter and the horn come very close to the tank, but don't touch
2. Will I be able to re-use the standard bar ends in the Renthal bars? Or do I need some Renthal bar ends? - NO, the renthals have a smaller internal diameter, so you need to fit a renthal specific barend
3. Will the horn wiring need to be extended? I note the similar LSL product comes with a wiring extender. - yes, I added 2"
4. Are the bar grips likely to come off undamaged or should I reckon on getting matching Renthal grips? - mine came off fine with some WD40 and a long screwdriver
5. Assuming I'll need to change the grips, what is the best adhesive? - any kind of grip glue or even hairspray
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The renthal knock-in plastic bar ends are fine, but I suggest you also fit another set on the inboard end, so they don't fill with water.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
redhot

Post by redhot »

Thanks very much, gents.

As always, this site is an excellent resource for the discerning motorcyclist!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

As already been said, you can't use standard bar end weights with Renthal handlebars.

I have just purchased a set of cheapish bar end weights for my Renthal's as in the link below. The idea was I'd buy these just to tidy the job up until I make up my mind if I'm going to use bar end mirrors or not. I will say though for the money these appear to be very good, better than I had expected.

Link for Ebay:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BIKINGEAR-UNI ... xyxmJSP2Ra

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The renthal plastic knock-in are solid and robust enough to drill, tap and use as fitments.
I mounted brackets for inboard reservoirs.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.