How to work out brake hose length

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
sirch345
Site Admin

How to work out brake hose length

Post by sirch345 »

:?: I'm in the process of fitting Renthal handlebars to my Storm.

How are you guys working out what length after market brake hoses you need for Renthal bars :?:

I worked out what length I need by measuring the existing brake hoses and adding on a bit for the higher bars, but taking into account what some of you have posted mine seem to be on the long side. I have (banjo centre to banjo centre) 775mm and 885mm.

Now I'm wondering if I'm doing this wrong, should I be working on using the existing lower mounting brackets (as in the photo below) or should I be just using "P" clips on those fork leg mounting points instead :?: It looks like some of you have used "P" clips there.

Also what's the best way to route the hoses at the lower triple forks clamp :?: I've seen some attached with "P" clips using both original bolt holes, and others have attached both hoses on the same side (throttle side).

And help or advice here would be very much appreciated :thumbup:

Chris.
tony.mon

Re: How to work out brake hose length

Post by tony.mon »

Just buy some, you will then find whatever length you bought will be a little bit too short.
The second set are usually about right.

You could measure the standard ones.
Or if you buy from one if the main names they will know what length you need.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I had a feeling you would do this mod Chris. Are you going for the race setup lines (separate) or linked (split) with regards to the lower triple. As for the the lower mounting you may find it easier to use P clips direct to the fork lower. Hey....it could be an opportunity for a bleed banjo on the master, a single or double banjo depending on which setup you go with.
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote:Just buy some, you will then find whatever length you bought will be a little bit too short.
The second set are usually about right.

You could measure the standard ones.
Or if you buy from one if the main names they will know what length you need.
:lol: I had worked that out for myself :thumbup:
I had measured the old ones, but I was not happy with the way Honda have that rather elaborate set up for the lefthand side hose. I have now gone for a more direct approach which means I have less bends in the hose.
VTRDark wrote:I had a feeling you would do this mod Chris. Are you going for the race setup lines (separate) or linked (split) with regards to the lower triple. As for the the lower mounting you may find it easier to use P clips direct to the fork lower. Hey....it could be an opportunity for a bleed banjo on the master, a single or double banjo depending on which setup you go with.
You are smarter than I realised Carl :wink: :thumbup:

I'm going for the race set up of two lines direct from the master cylinder.

I have now worked it out, I used 2 lengths of electrical 3 core flex which I cable tied in place at the bottom yoke and the fork leg bracket. I did this with the front wheel suspended, and also checked it with the bike back on the ground. I followed the original hoses between the bottom yoke and the lower fork leg bracket.

I had intended to fit a bleed valve banjo bolt, but I'm limited for room as the banjo bolt is going to be very close to the fork stanchion, so not enough room,

Thanks for your replies chaps :thumbup:

Chris.