Misfire

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Solarboy

Misfire

Post by Solarboy »

Hi Gents,
I have just carried out a plug change on my Storm and I thought all was good. Went to take the bike out and it started misfiring like it was only running on one cylinder. I took the bike home, checked the plugs, all okay and fired it up in my garden. It runs sweet for a little while and then the same thing happens. It sounds to me like the rear cylinder is having fuel starvation issues and the rear cylinder exhaust temp is well below the front temp. I have checked the valve on the tank and I'm getting good fuel flow out of both outlets. I'm thinking that when I took the tank off the first time that something may have gone down the pipe to the rear carb and partially blocked the carb? I'm an engineer but not a mechanic and some good advice would be gratefully relieved.
:(
Thanks all.
If we don't learn from our mistakes we are destin to repeat them
MacV2

Re: Misfire

Post by MacV2 »

Poss just a pinched pipe either fuel or vac pipe.

The vac pipe is on the correct spigot on the petcock ? It should be on the one @90* not the one that comes straight down ?

Also worth checking if you have a T peice inline on the vac pipe for a carb balance take off that the tube is sealed shut...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Solarboy

Post by Solarboy »

Hi Mac,

Yea I have the vac pipe on the small port on the bottom of the tank valve between the two out lets. I have checked the vac pipe back to where it goes into the rear cylinder and there doesn't appear to be any tee.
No kinks in any pipes that I can see, I've stripped the air box right off so I can see the fuel lines going into the carbs, checked all other pipes and I'm still at a loss. What I'm now thinking is, is there a filter on the inlet to the carbs on the fuel lines? If there was and it was partially blocked so could only get enough fuel to tick over which it does okay. Soon as you give it a twist it coughed and splutters.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

now when you say its on the spigot between the fuel pipes??? the one at the back or the one pointing down?
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Solarboy

Post by Solarboy »

I've put it on the one that points down at the bottom of the tank valve (is this the pitcock valve?) anyway it's on the bottom.
On the tank you have the two fuel Ines on the aluminium shut of valve that come out diagonally and I've put the vac pipe on the smaller maybe 5 or 6mm nipple at the bottom of that valve. I am pretty sure that's where it came off but I have a feeling I need to get the eggs ready to put on my face... lol
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Put the eggs on your face and put it on the one that faces the back
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Solarboy

Post by Solarboy »

Lol....

Thanks fella. I'll give it a go tomorrow.

:thumbup:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Solarboy wrote:I've put it on the one that points down at the bottom of the tank valve (is this the pitcock valve?) anyway it's on the bottom.
On the tank you have the two fuel Ines on the aluminium shut of valve that come out diagonally and I've put the vac pipe on the smaller maybe 5 or 6mm nipple at the bottom of that valve. I am pretty sure that's where it came off but I have a feeling I need to get the eggs ready to put on my face... lol

The vac pipe is on the correct spigot on the petcock ? It should be on the one @90* not the one that comes straight down ?

Tsk...people just don't listen do they... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Solarboy

Post by Solarboy »

I took the thing apart several times and didn't even see the one that points back. Obviously from your guys vast experience it must be and I'll be putting it on that one later and hopefully the world can revolve again. I'm sure the egg will wash off.
Ears are always open 8)
Thanks fellas
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Solarboy wrote:I took the thing apart several times and didn't even see the one that points back. Obviously from your guys vast experience it must be and I'll be putting it on that one later and hopefully the world can revolve again. I'm sure the egg will wash off.
Ears are always open 8)
Thanks fellas

everybody has done the same at some point :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Solarboy

Post by Solarboy »

fabiostar wrote:
Solarboy wrote:I took the thing apart several times and didn't even see the one that points back. Obviously from your guys vast experience it must be and I'll be putting it on that one later and hopefully the world can revolve again. I'm sure the egg will wash off.
Ears are always open 8)
Thanks fellas

everybody has done the same at some point :clap:
Thats good to know, and thanks for the reassurance. All the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Don't be embarrassed let us know the outcome. Hopefully that'll be the cure. :thumbup:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Solarboy

Post by Solarboy »

Success!
Some fool had put the vac pipe on the wrong side of the diaphragm!!!

Once again thanks fells, I'm sure that would have stumped me for a while, even though it was self inflected!

:beer:

James
macdee

Post by macdee »

its good that you got there in the end
told you not to but oh no you knew better