Fuel tap repair kits

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jchesshyre

Fuel tap repair kits

Post by jchesshyre »

I bought this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112136577816 recently but unfortunately it doesn't work. The rubber plunger is not deep enough to totally close the tap, and the diaphragm is too thick and inflexible to work properly. I have initiated a return for it.

All the others I can find on there seem to look the same and use the same image.

Has anyone had any luck with one of these and can recommend a particular seller?
VTR Phoenix

Re: Fuel tap repair kits

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Don't say that, I got exactly the same one delivered today from the same people. I will see.hie it goes and let you know.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
eamonn

Post by eamonn »

I bought one recently it fitted fine , that seller on eBay was Motorcyle Mailparts, still got them listed ar £10
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

OK, tried fitting mine and it's not the nipple isn't long enough it's the nipple isn't wide enough. Fitted it, turned fuel tap on and it pissed out.

Measured the diameter and the new one is definitely smaller. Refitted using all the new parts except the nipple piece and used my original and it works fine.

I emailed the seller before even opening mine and all they said was that's the only one we do. So I'll be messaging them back now.

Eamonn, did you turn your tap on before refitting tank to see if it poured out the fuel ports?
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Just to clarify, with mine the problem was that the plunger which blocks the fuel pipe and lifts when vacuum is applied didn't reach the back of the pipe even when fully closed and so allowed fuel to piss out - there was a gap at the back of at least 3mm. Is this the same with yours VTR Phoenix?

Also, as I say, the diaphragm didn't work at all - sucking on the vacuum pipe wouldn't move the rubber plunger at all. It's clearly much thicker rubber than the stock diaphragm.

I don't understand why people are selling these things if they don't even slightly do the job they're meant to do.

I notice that wemoto.com sell this for £44.18 which I might have to settle for http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/vtr_1 ... epair_kit/ - it's supposedly genuine Honda and yet I didn't think Honda sold anything other than the whole tap.
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

I don't believe it's supposed to fill the hole completely just plug it until a vacuum is applied. That is what I believe is happening. I haven't my tank on yet so will measure both with micrometer tomorrow as covered in fuel now and post up the difference in dimensions.
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

I got s repair kit from these guys about 5 years ago. Worked perfectly

http://www.nrp-carbs.co.uk/honda_fuel_t ... ir_kit.htm
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good